Oregon

I am new here and I am from Oregon... Scio Or. I am looking for a hen to be a companion to an americauna about 4 years old.

I often look for chickens/chicks on the Corvallis Craigslist as Lebanon and Albany often have quite a few. Also in Lebanon there is a Wilco, which should have a message board, maybe put up a flyer. Good luck!

Hey all, I'm in Grants Pass and have some nice Marans chicks for sale. I've got a blue rooster over one blue and the rest black and black copper hens. The hens lay about a 4 on the Marans scale, but they're also 4 years old. I'd imagine the pullet chicks would lay a 6 or so when they start laying. The parent stock are nice breeder quality birds, larger and wider bodied than hatchery stock. The chicks hatched active and ready to go, good eaters and drinkers from the start. They're $5 each straight run. I've got some pics to post now from the desktop and will get more from my phone.

I'm also hatching some silkie/bantam cochin and silkie chicks, got chicks in the hatcher as I type
smile.png
. This pen is a black silkie rooster over a buff silkie hen, four black bantam cochin hens and one birchen bantam cochin hen. This cross makes some of the cutest chicks, and they're good with little kiddos. They're friendly and tolerate handling well, they make great backyard pets. My hens are decently broody but also lay surprisingly well. These chicks are $3 each straight run.

PM me if interested
smile.png

Looking good Donrae...wish I still lived in the GP area to come get some :D

LofMc

Have not been on here for a while but wanted to wish everyone a Happy Spring :) A picture I took the other day of one of my older New Hampshire Hens raising some of my beloved Delawares for me:

Beautiful NH! I see you are in Jefferson and raising GNH....what is GNH...a designation of New Hampshire?

Jefferson is down below Salem right?

Not this year, but maybe next I'd like to get some more really nice NH.

LofMc (in Beaverton)

One quick question - as we are not set on any particular area just yet does anyone know if there are any known chicken UNfriendly communities? I know that Portland tends to be pretty progressive in general and so far different things I've found show they have readily embraced the urban homesteading movements, but if there are areas that at this time do not allow backyard poultry would love to know so I can cross them right off my list as I am starting to narrow our housing choices, etc.

One county you need to avoid is Washington county it is the richest county in Oregon, unless you don't mind paying the prices to live here.

I live in unincorporated Washington County, with a mailing address of Beaverton (I live within the "rain shadow" of Nike...who refuses to pay city taxes hence we remain unincorporated).

While property taxes are higher, I would say that Multnomah County has us beat by far as they also tack on city taxes on top of county taxes. I do not find it exorbitant to live here. (Although housing is going up higher and higher within the urban growth boundary....look outside of that).

Because I am in unincorporated Washington County, there are NO restrictions on chickens other than I suppose someone could complain if they became a real noise or pollution problem.

There was a request to review having roosters and pea fowl placed before Washington County about a year ago, but it was resoundingly defeated.

I currently have a rooster (which I do keep with a No Crow Collar just to be polite to our closer neighbors) and about 15 to 20 hens (give or take as the seasons and brooding goes) on about 1/3 acre.

Washington County covers a lot of territory, and you can find some really nice less expensive niches...just avoid being in the city boundaries.

I've seen llamas close in, pea fowl, sheep, chickens, in little tucked away niches.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck searching.

LofMc

Last edited:
Hi there,
we just started our flock TODAY. Everyone in the house picked out their own 2 day old chick.
We named our own.
I named my silver wyandotte Lady Eboshi from the movie Princess Mononoke.
My 9 year old named her Americauna - Little Chestnut (soon to be Chestnut when she gets bigger)
and the rest are still mulling it over (Easter Egger and Copper Maran)
Is there a forum specifically for people in Portland?
All good thus far.
Thanks

Not on BYC but you can link up to Portland area poultry enthusiasts on a FB forum at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PortlandPoultryProject/

Enjoy your flock :D

LofMc

Beautiful NH! I see you are in Jefferson and raising GNH....what is GNH...a designation of New Hampshire?

Jefferson is down below Salem right?

Not this year, but maybe next I'd like to get some more really nice NH.

LofMc (in Beaverton)

Thank you! At this point I believe all of us breeders need to get rid of the G :) Years back, a line was imported back to the States from Germany as the New Hamps in the USA had lost the quality they once had. That was quite some time ago and most of the NH lines in the states now are a combo of the German and American lines although there are still a few American lines I believe bred mostly for meat. I have been breeding them for over 6 years now, love them, as well as my Ameraucana's, Delawares and Black Copper Marans :) Yes, Jefferson is just a little South of Salem. I would be happy to get you some eggs, chicks or started birds. I hatch over 100 chicks of each of my breeds per year and only keep the top 10% to show, breed forward and to fill in my egg laying flock.

Hey guys, I'm posting because one of my non-Internet savvy friends is being forced by poor health to get rid of his flock of Buff Leghorns. He's been working with them a couple decades and is hoping people will want to continue his work, and asked me to help him find homes for them. The birds are located in Battle Ground, WA. I can vouch for the productivity of his lines, since it was one of the sources I got my start from, lot of potential there.

Hey guys, I'm posting because one of my non-Internet savvy friends is being forced by poor health to get rid of his flock of Buff Leghorns. He's been working with them a couple decades and is hoping people will want to continue his work, and asked me to help him find homes for them. The birds are located in Battle Ground, WA. I can vouch for the productivity of his lines, since it was one of the sources I got my start from, lot of potential there.
BGMatt - have you try posting this in WA forum as well?

Sorry I'm new to chicken this year and do not understand what you mean by "continue his work".

BGMatt - have you try posting this in WA forum as well? 

Sorry I'm new to chicken this year and do not understand what you mean by "continue his work". 

I did. But it's so close to border thought I'd put it in both.

What I mean by that is he's hoping to find people who will continue to breed them.

Back
Top Bottom