Oregon

I usually cut down 1 tree for 100.00 my minimum unless climbing and topping is involved. I am licenced and insured and have never had a boo-boo in 25 years..

I think $800 is a bit steep, but, then again, you will pay a lot for that experienced arborist. They are a very specialized trade. We were quoted for about $500 just to cut down a dead pine, so trimming etc. Would probably be more.

I usually cut down 1 tree for 100.00 my minimum unless climbing and topping is involved. I am licenced and insured and have never had a boo-boo in 25 years..
I'm not interested in having the tree cut down nor topped, but thank you anyway.
smile.png

I should say I am not looking for work I have plenty on my plate, I just hate to see someone pay more than necessary. The city of Portland has an arborist on staff for free as do most incorporated cities and a very helpful.

I would call a few others and get estimates.

I paid $350 to have 7 huge Ponderosa pines taken clear to the ground, and another trimmed and the dead branches removed.

The trees had to be taken out one chunk at a time and each slice lowered down one at a time with ropes because the trees were between the house and garage.

I hired the guy who does the actual cutting. You pay the arborist $800 and he pays a lumber jack $12 an hour to do the work. Lots of lumber jacks out of work and you can get your insurance company to give you insurance for the job, or better yet, find your lumber jack and hire him through a temp service. They take care of all insurance and taxes and paperwork for you.

Last edited:
I would call a few others and get estimates.

I paid $350 to have 7 huge Ponderosa pines taken clear to the ground, and another trimmed and the dead branches removed.

The trees had to be taken out one chunk at a time and each slice lowered down one at a time with ropes because the trees were between the house and garage.

I hired the guy who does the actual cutting. You pay the arborist $800 and he pays a lumber jack $12 an hour to do the work. Lots of lumber jacks out of work and you can get your insurance company to give you insurance for the job, or better yet, find your lumber jack and hire him through a temp service. They take care of all insurance and taxes and paperwork for you.
Thank you.

The arborist is actually doing the work himself. If we were taking the tree down, he would be paying someone else to take it down and it would actually cost less. And, if we were taking the tree down, I wouldn't need the arborist at all. I realize that I will pay an arborist more, and also realize that I am paying not for the amount of tree that he cuts, but for knowing where to cut. So, I just wanted to know if the price was reasonable for an arborist.

Unfortunately, at least in this town, there are a lot of folks pretending like they know what to do and end up mutilating trees and that's why I'm so hell-bent on hiring an arborist
smile.png
. It sounds like you were more fortunate. It also sounds like the person I talked to might be on the high end, but not unreasonable, considering. I've got another one to check out as well...

"Raindrops keep fallin on my head"

"Here comes the rain again.... fallin on my head like a memory...."

"Im only happy when it rains...."

How about some Rain Songs, fellow Western Oregonians? Just to get in the festive mood of muddle dog prints all over the floor, massive poopy puddles in. The coop, wet chickens, ponds in our yards, wet, smelly dogs...... etc. etc.

How about some Rain Songs, fellow Western Oregonians? Just to get in the festive mood of muddle dog prints all over the floor, massive poopy puddles in. The coop, wet chickens, ponds in our yards, wet, smelly dogs...... etc. etc.
"Every time it rains, its rains, pennies from heaven..."

"Don't know why, there's no sun up in the sky, stormy weather..."

"I Love a Rainy Night"

Back
Top Bottom