Oregon

Any one looking for some bantams? I have a cochin roo and I am not sure about the other one. Here is a picture. They are about 7 or 8 weeks old. This picture is about a week old.

Howdy folks. I am gonna go a bit off topic here and put out an invite. July 18-21 we will once again be camping at Winchester Bay. Anybody who would like to drop in is welcome Who knows I might even take ya for a ride in the sandrail. This will be the last trip with the little bug motor. Then when we get home I will be converting to a Jetta motor. Drop in and say howdy ! !

Does anyone know what chicken diseases are most common here in Oregon? I have been trying to find this out with no luck. Didn't find anything searching the net, asked a vet twice got no answer. It would be good to know what to vaccinate for. Don't want to vaccinate for things that are not in this area. (Douglas county) thanks for any imput.

Does anyone have a source for chicken feed that contains Animal Proteins? All Purina and Payback feeds have taken it out of their recipe, not sure about Nutrena or any of the others. I raise dual purpose heritage breeds and it is my belief that they do better with animal as well as plant proteins. Anyone supplement with fish meal (expensive but I hear a little goes a long way). What does everyone else do??

Suzierd, I am in the Willamette Valley and don't vaccinate for anything but I know a lot of people vaccinate for Mareks.........Won't go into all my reasons but I believe in the "old timer" attitude and want to build/breed resistant, hardy flocks and after a couple of years and some losses but not many I feel like I am there with my breeds. Hopefully someone else will chime in...............

Does anyone have a source for chicken feed that contains Animal Proteins? All Purina and Payback feeds have taken it out of their recipe, not sure about Nutrena or any of the others. I raise dual purpose heritage breeds and it is my belief that they do better with animal as well as plant proteins. Anyone supplement with fish meal (expensive but I hear a little goes a long way). What does everyone else do??

Suzierd, I am in the Willamette Valley and don't vaccinate for anything but I know a lot of people vaccinate for Mareks.........Won't go into all my reasons but I believe in the "old timer" attitude and want to build/breed resistant, hardy flocks and after a couple of years and some losses but not many I feel like I am there with my breeds. Hopefully someone else will chime in...............
I am a strong believer of survival of the fittest. If we continue to wildly use meds as prevention then when they are REALLY needed they will not be effective! I feel the same for people to.

Zanna, Last year I saw the Back Yard Farmer on 5th in Eugene carried an Oregon milled chicken feed that contained fish meal. I think it was made in Hood River. I am not finding the name of it on the shop's website, it you can get the name from the shop maybe there is a source closer to you. It was not the cheapest feed around. I used Trader Joe's tuna cat food as an animal protein source. One can amongst 13 chickens has not made the eggs fishy tasting and has spared a lot of feather eating with that group of hens.

frow.gif
from salem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zanna, Last year I saw the Back Yard Farmer on 5th in Eugene carried an Oregon milled chicken feed that contained fish meal. I think it was made in Hood River. I am not finding the name of it on the shop's website, it you can get the name from the shop maybe there is a source closer to you. It was not the cheapest feed around. I used Trader Joe's tuna cat food as an animal protein source. One can amongst 13 chickens has not made the eggs fishy tasting and has spared a lot of feather eating with that group of hens.
Thank you! I have been supplementing the breeders that are locked up with some dried cat food but I have heard there is one ingredient in the cat food that is bad for them in quantity so I use it sparingly. Think I will try the fish meal, I can get a 50LB bag for about $55. from a feed store in Keizer, my local one sells if for $75 :( Not too concerned with the free-rangers, just the breeders that are penned up.

Welcome Winter Chicken!!!

Back
Top Bottom