Organic feed?

Chicken'n'bees

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 2, 2009
I would like to keep my chickens as much organic as I can. Does anyone know if I should be giving them any type of feed? I've been giving the chicks a Nutrena grower/starter, and just switched the 19 week pullets to a Nutrena layer crumble, are these considered organic? I'm not sure about medicines in these.

Those feeds are not organic. To obtain the "organic" status a product must meet strict requirements. It doesn't have much to do with medicated or not. It is more about the product sources being free of pesticides and herbicides, etc. Ask your feed store person if they sell an organic brand of chicken feed. Most stores either carry it or are willing to order it for you.

you can also do a web search for organic chicken feed, and you usually can come up with some local (meaning, driveable) distance to get organic feed. But more and more feed stores are offering organics, not the big boxes so much.

I was able to get our little town's feed store to order organic chick starter. They can get layer and broiler feeds also. All for under $25 per 50lbs. About 25% more cost than the Nutrena from them. Downfall, I have to give them 2 weeks notice as they are on a 2 week ordering cycle.

Thanks. I will see what I can find and check with the feed store to see if I can get it there or order it.

I have a close friend who is in the chicken business...........both for meat and for eggs. She feeds certified organic and lets her chickens free range. When I asked her about "going organic", her response was..........."Lowers your profit and raises your quality." So it just depends on what you are really after raising chickens.
wink.png

Well, I figure I can pay for it now in feed for the chickens, or pay for it later when I put all of that extra stuff into me when I eat their eggs or meat.

I am a perfect example of what a lifetime of eating the hormones, antibiotics and whatever else they put in our food can do. Won't bore you all with details, but will just say - Cheap food has hidden costs you may not be able to afford later in life.

Now I eat organics 90% of the time, and hoping to make about 75% of that from my own backyard. It is worth it to know what you are putting into your body.

thats a great way of explaining it - you can pay for it now or you can pay for it later!

I think the feed costs vary by geographical region - in my neck of the woods, I can get organic for only about 30 cents a pound more than the conventional.

Back
Top Bottom