Organic layer grain, crumbles or pellets

Rockergirl

Chirping
Sep 14, 2022
Is one better than the other for your chickens? I was feeding cracked grains but they all seem to land on the ground so I started thinking about moving to crumbles? Note, I'm still feeding "grower" but will be moving to layer in a few weeks.

Hi. I use pellets and ferment it. Mostly because they will waste a lot by pecking food out (crumble and pellet both). Or you can do a mash with crumble which is a little less effort than fermenting pellet feed.

If you want to use a whole grain feed it's best to wet it at the very least, or ferment it, to ensure 1) they're getting all the vitamins and protein that's in the powdery fines and 2) that they can't pick out only the pieces they prefer eating.

If that's too much micromanagement, it's better to feed crumbles or pellets - that's mostly personal preference as long as the birds are big enough to eat either one (which sounds like the case here).

Hi when feeding cracked grains it seems to me they don't grt a balanced diet. They pick out their favorite goodies (hello CORN!) and everything else falls to thr bottom. If you can switch to a crumbled or pelleted feed, either a starter or a grower, they should get everything thry need. Here at our place we feed sn all-flock formula that does not contain added calcium, and provide oyster shell in a separate container so the layers can help themselves to what they need. We have a mixed flock, some young, some old, some males, some molting, that don't need the calcium.

Thanks everyone. When should I start using the layer feed? I have one ISA brown, 2 Easter eggers and 1 Austrolorp. The ISA brown, I believe, will start laying next month (earlier than the rest). They are 15 weeks today. Since they will start laying a different ages, do I feed them the layer feed when the 1st one starts laying? With winter time coming in a couple of months, I'm not even sure the other 3 will even lay until spring? I think the others will be "of age" maybe end of November? I'm in NC, not sure if that makes in difference in time of year and when eggs will lay or not...

Also - I use organic Scratch & Peck brand feed - they offer the crumbles with or without corn. I think I should go without corn because I did buy a bag of just corn, for a treat? They also offer it with 16% or 18% protein....I think I should go with the 16% unless I have a shell issue? I also purchased some oyster shells and will start giving them that once they start laying.

Since they will start laying a different ages, do I feed them the layer feed when the 1st one starts laying?
I do not use any layer until about half the birds in that age bracket are laying. I also don't exclusively feed layer at any point but that's me micromanaging things.
Also - I use organic Scratch & Peck brand feed - they offer the crumbles with or without corn. I think I should go without corn because I did buy a bag of just corn, for a treat? They also offer it with 16% or 18% protein....I think I should go with the 16% unless I have a shell issue? I also purchased some oyster shells and will start giving them that once they start laying.
18% is preferable, as 16% is the minimal amount of protein you want to feed. I personally have no opinion on corn vs no corn. You can offer oyster shell now, they'll probably sample it but shouldn't want to eat a lot of it.

From everything I've learned here from the *feed gurus* higher protein is better, and the "layer" option isn't actually the best option. Seems like many people go with an "all flock" type that has lower calcium and let then hens get what they need from supplemental oyster shell free choice.

I don't think Scratch & Peck has an "all flock" that is low in calcium, so if you want to stay with that brand, it might be good to keep them on grower crumbles (it's at 17% protein) and either ferment or wet into a mash (to get all the fine powders used up), and give the oyster shells on the side.

Again, this is all from what I've learned here. I'm still raising babies and I have them on the Scratch & Peck starter, but I think I'm going to switch to Nutrena NatureWise All Flock pellets (20% protein) later and then start giving oyster shell when I see them getting close to POL. 😊

From everything I've learned here from the *feed gurus* higher protein is better, and the "layer" option isn't actually the best option. Seems like many people go with an "all flock" type that has lower calcium and let then hens get what they need from supplemental oyster shell free choice.

I don't think Scratch & Peck has an "all flock" that is low in calcium, so if you want to stay with that brand, it might be good to keep them on grower crumbles (it's at 17% protein) and either ferment or wet into a mash (to get all the fine powders used up), and give the oyster shells on the side.

Again, this is all from what I've learned here. I'm still raising babies and I have them on the Scratch & Peck starter, but I think I'm going to switch to Nutrena NatureWise All Flock pellets (20% protein) later and then start giving oyster shell when I see them getting close to POL. 😊
Thank you! Gosh, fermenting! I swear I learn something new all the time...I have never heard of that with chick food or know how to do that....I guess it's something new to research, ha! I have heard of the "all flock". Does the "all flock" mean that it can go to any ages, so it works for ones that are laying as well as the ones that are younger? I'm big on the organic....so I'll have to do some more research.

Back
Top Bottom