Our anti-chicken law is CRAZY

MissJenny

Songster
10 Years
May 11, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
I live in an urban area where very nearly every lot is measured in feet, not acres. My lot is 50'x250', some lots are a little smaller, some are a tad larger. Our council passed an ordinance last October that insists no farm animals (chickens) are allowed on lots smaller than 20 acres. I don't think there is even a two acre lot in town, much less 20 acres. Nuts.

I'm not the best speaker ever and I am not the smartest woman alive, but from what I've seen here there and every where I am good enough to approach council and seek to change this law back to where it was before.

20 acres -- who's got 20 acres?

Jenny

Quote:
I hope you can get it changed to something more reasonable. Good Luck!

The small city I work in allows 30 chickens on their small city lots. It is an old law, and has not been reviewed because no one has been silly enough to keep 30 chickens on one of these small lots. Someday someone will, and spoil it for all the small quiet backyard flocks in the city.

I've been put on notice -- they taped the ordinance to my front door.
roll.png

Jenny

That is crazy! Here in Providence, which is very urban, the new ordinance allows 1 chicken for every 800 square feet of lot size, up to six chickens. Thank god for living in a progressive city. My lot is a fraction of yours (3600 square feet), and having 4-5 chickens on a lot this size is very sustainable.

Wow, that's pretty strict. I think your lot would be OK for keeping poultry in San Diego (you would have to put it way in the corner or edge of your lot and it depends on where you and your neighbors have their homes). We only have a 50 foot setback and many homes are on canyon rims and irregular lots, so they would probably qualify.

ETA: Many of our homes in our entire county, even the "country" areas are not on 20 acre lots.

Last edited:
That is nuts, I live in literally the middle of nowhere and I own 14 acres. My chickens are lucky to range 1 acre of my property! I think your city is just trying to make sure there are no chickens anywhere. I would ask why they made that 20 acre law, especially if you have had no complaints against you and your chickens. I live about a hour and half from downtown Cincinnati and never had any complaints, but like I said I am in the middle of nowhere. I would ask why the law was changed and go speak out and get it changed back to whatever it was before!

Last edited:
The reason I am not grandfathered in is because the ordinance was changed some 6 months before my chicks arrived. They were legal when I researched the issue -- when I ordered chicks I didn't go back to check. I did call the city, but no one returned my call.

In the city of Cincinnati chickens are legal and in several of the small surrounding towns and cities. i definitely think the 20 acre rule is outlandish -- it's kind of like saying no one can keep a dog smaller than an elephant or larger than a hamster.

I do plan to approach council -- I have much to prepare. Happy, happy, joy, joy.

Jenny

Back
Top Bottom