our aviary homestead

BankerJohn

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Lecanto, Florida
It all started with my youngest saying that she wanted a pet. "no pets indoors because mommy has allergies." The desire never faded and finally, she pronounced, "Mom & Dad, I want chickens!" "Why chickens honey?", "Well, they have to live outside and they wont bother mommy's sneezing"

Can you say, DONE! I'm so whipped.

53005_p1230839.jpeg

53005_p1230833.jpeg

53005_p1230830.jpeg

53005_p1230837.jpeg

I want to say thank you to all the folks who have posted threads and replies that formed the design of what now sits in our backyard. We live in Florida and do not have the harsh winter so an open air design with combo roost/run is what we ended up with. Watering is automated using a 5 gallon bucket piped to watering nipples obtained thru FarmTek Supply. Feed is a 7.5 gallon Bucket with an 18" planter base bolted to the bottom and holes in the bucket to allow for gravity feed. Roofing is simple smoke colored greenhouse plastic panels. Open air walls are 1/2" hardware cloth. Floor is lined with chicken wire, topped with #89 rock from a local quarry to facilitate drainage and keep a dry floor. Egg nests will be Coca-cola crates place in the solid wall corner corners.

A future modification I plan to make will be to cover the rock with landscape cloth and add another 2-3 inches of sand to make poop clean up much easier.

Again, I appreciate all of the advice and guidance I received in the planning process.

Our aviary palace is home to 7 chicks (Cannonball, fireball, buckarina, sweetie pie, brownie, angel and kailey).

Very nicely done there Banker John! Commercial banker myself at a small community bank. Bankers have mad skills!

Last edited:
Lovely coop! Have the young chicks taken to the nipple water system? Would love to be able to do something like that, but here in NE Ohio we'd end up with popsicles:rolleyes:

Your chicks will get the hang of roosting one day...I always like to give them "mini roosts". I would take a large diameter branch or scrap of 2x4 and put 2" legs on it. This would give them a low perch to play on. When they were real little I had one end of the branch touch the ground, the other up a small bit just to get them used to going "higher". As they got older, I would make the legs longer on the perch. I think the girls were closer to 7-8 weeks before they really got into roosting at night. In the meantime, you might want to give them an area of shavings that they can nestle into to sleep. Hope your daughter enjoys her feathered friends:)

Back
Top Bottom