Our First Processing Experience! (Pics)

So far the easiest way I've found for me is after the scald I put them in a dish tub and used the flat back of my paring knife starting with the legs. Against the grain I guess, sort of like peeling a potato. Get the bulk done, quick rinse and then once more for the stragglers.

Not nearly as quick for me as skinning, so I'll probably only do it for a handful and the rest will just keep being skinned. I figure it might go better with the CX since they're white.

The air compressor is always great.. I've been using that method for a while now when I am skinning rabbits, I blow them up first so I don't ruin the skin but can keep it for tanning

Quote:
They were talking about that too!! They actually just made a a bigger needle from something to be used to skin a deer!!
fl.gif
hoping real soon we'll get a chance to see if it works!!
smile.png

Quote:
I cook alot of stewed chicken and casseroles, slice the breasts up and make chicken stripes. I've also baked it in some italian dressing before and that kept it pretty moist!! Gumbo & Chicken & Dumplings!!
smile.png
I think I could go on & on!!

I am not sure about the "letting them rest" part. Why would you do this?
For years people have been butchering and putting them right in to cook. I did that this last time (for some reason I forget). I almost always brine my birds before cooking them though, and that take 24-hours. I always set them out to thaw, but the reason for them setting for a day is because that is how long it takes to thaw them usually.
So, I am just curious why you let them set before or after you freeze?
Thanks.

Good job on the pictures...not graphic or unneccessary! We have some roos we are possibly going to process...for newbies it isn't something we are thrilled to jump into. Your pics give me a little more courage to just get it done. I am not cut out for "real" farming!
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom