Our First Processing Experience! (Pics)

NonnasBabies

Muddy Acre Farms
12 Years
Sep 20, 2009
Pride, La.
Well, we processed our first chickens today. It was quite an experience. Thank goodness my hubby was there and truthfully did most of the work!! We did 7 roosters in about 2 - 2.5 hours. We skinned all of them. They were 5 month old black sex links and the largest one dressed out at 3lbs 3.3 oz. So now we know if we hatch our own eggs again we need to let them go till there about 6-7 months old!!

Here's a couple of pics!!

My hubby the chicken rangler!!
41543_first_processing_2.jpg

Our make shift killing cone!!
41543_first_processing_4.jpg

This was the coolest thing. Hubby rigged up a needle to his air compressor and basically blew the skin away from the meat! Made it much easier to peel the skin!
41543_first_processing_8.jpg

And this is what we ended up with!
41543_first_processing_10.jpg

Thanks for looking!!
smile.png

Last edited:
Beautiful!! They look bigger though!!?? I'm jealous I made soup from the 2 (our first) and let me just say WOW!!! It was the cleanest tasting stock not greasy but full of chicken flavor!!! MMMMMMMMM!!!!! Now we just have to work on getting to the country so we can do more!!

Thanks I'll tell him!!

I have a question though.. Do you have to let them rest in the fridge before you freeze them??

I've been reading up a little and I know your not suppose to cook them with out a rest period but I don't know if I messed up or not just going ahead and freezing them!!

Thanks!

I think the freezing directly is okay if you let them rest in the fridge for a few days after/during thawing. They can rest before or after freezing.

Nice job!

Back
Top Bottom