Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Hahahaha, I have 5 in the making, but I think they are still a number of weeks away yet.

The rate we are going though, they might start laying before the rest of the flock come back online. Winter here is surely slowing things down.

Hahahaha, I have 5 in the making, but I think they are still a number of weeks away yet.

The rate we are going though, they might start laying before the rest of the flock come back online. Winter here is surely slowing things down.

I am actually surprised your birds have shut down for so long.

At least the winter solstice is behind us so the days will start getting longer.

May the eggs be with you

We are too, they slowed down one at a time until we were getting one egg a day, then that one stopped and not seen one since. The Rocks are nice and red in the face again, looks like they will be first to visit the nest.

We have them on quality feed, as well as free ranging and occasional table scraps. SHort of cooking or special meals we are doing it right!

Winter solstice was yesterday, so fingers crossed that changes their natural switch and they get back to normal programming.

We are too, they slowed down one at a time until we were getting one egg a day, then that one stopped and not seen one since. The Rocks are nice and red in the face again, looks like they will be first to visit the nest.

We have them on quality feed, as well as free ranging and occasional table scraps. SHort of cooking or special meals we are doing it right!

Winter solstice was yesterday, so fingers crossed that changes their natural switch and they get back to normal programming.

I went out to our coop one winter with an hand axe in one hand and a frying pan in the other hand. Told the ladies that I would be eating some kind of chicken the next day, eggs or meat I didn't care I was eating something chicken.
It worked I got one egg the next morning.
Good Luck Ben!!
Scott

Hi Kusanar,

Amazingly, you are right. While horses and other animals are faster, humans are better over long distances. In fact, we are the best in the world at covering long distance. Science has us as the best evolved (religious beliefs aside) at travel. We have certain traits built into our bodies to make this possible. Being bipedal (two legged) is a major factor as we can control our breathing separate to our body movements. Horses, dogs and big cats all use their bodies like a concertina to get the air in and out, we are very good at regulating our temp and managing air flow. Not as fast but we can out last out food or prey on foot, and even beat horses over long distance!

We are built to run but many of us don't find it very fun haha.

Still no eggs......I hate buying eggs that taste nothing like fresh home grown eggs.....due to the cost we have to be careful with how many we use with store bought, they are not quite an endless supply like home grown!

Yeah..... i cant run.... i (like my horse actually...) can manage to fall down walking on semi flat and smooth ground....

Humans are actually quite terrifying. We can heal from severe trauma, we can learn to make up for loss of limbs, and there are very few things we aren't able to track. We also use tools to a very high degree. And like stated before, given enough time and distance, we can outlast most other living things. Quite a scary combo.

I have been trying to post pics from my phone again without much luck.

For now, you are going to have to use your imagination!

Today, Curly our BV laid an EGG! First egg in about 3 months, nice size and made me all excited hahaha

Back
Top Bottom