Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

It's like we are wired the same!

The breeder said to wait until she is 10 months before any regulated leash running, and that can only be short 'training her to run on a loose leash' runs, nothing remotely long until after 12 months.
The breeder was happy that we are active but stressed that she has worked hard to breed a line with 0.0 hip score, and she does not want us to mess that up by over working her too soon.

As for rescue, we have got a little bit of heat over that. Some people we know feel pretty strongly about adopting over buying but we have our reasons. I like the idea of saving an unloved or surrendered dog, but although the shelters do their best to only sell good natured dogs. We still don't know what we are getting until it is home. Rescue dogs here are still about $500, puppies more and they are almost never of a single breed which complicates things too. We have 2 kids and 18 chickens, so we want to start fresh from as early as we can, set good habits from the beginning, not trying to break old habits.

We also wanted a dog that would be a good companion for our family's lifestyle. We are active people, I spend a fair amount of time on trails and for a dog to join us we needed a breed with certain traits to suit. Good hips, agility, endurance, intellect, long legs, short hair, long nose and attractive we all traits we were looking for. Some of those are easy to spot physically, but harder if you can't meet the parents. We met the breeders parents, and her other siblings. We saw how they were raised, and the breeders accomplishments so we are confident we are getting our money's worth.

We can pay a bit more and get her (we are yet to settle on a name) on full papers, but we have no interest in competing her in agility comps or showing her so we are going on the limited register.

All this puppy talk, better post a pic or two!
Almost 3 weeks old.

Well that is one cute puppy. Soon she will be peeing all over your carpets :p.

The breeder sounds like a down to Earth person, that's good. And the bad kind of exercise is repetitive movement. Unleashed running isn't as bad.

This thread has obviously quietened down a lot over the past year, but I still wanted to drop in and say that reading it took me a couple of days, and it was better then any book. I've been a lurker on BYC for over a year lol but finally 'took the plunge' and made an account. Hope all the various flocks are doing well -- I look forward to reading what follows!

And Ben, the running is very impressive. Congrats on the 100 mile race!

Hey @inmillity , welcome to the site! Yeah, Ben's gotten a bit too busy to maintain a proper BYC addiction, but luckily he still checks in from time to time.

If you're in need of more reading material, I suggest Ozexpat's "Getting the flock out of here" thread.

Hi Inmillity (and vehve!)

Yes I still drop in regularly, just don't post very much. I know I keep saying it, but I really should get some update pics! I might wander off now and try grab some on the phone to upload later tonight.

I actually followed through with some pictures!

Baby our Araucana with our LS's, Sunny and Cleo, great big girls!

Marrie the maran and Amy the SPW

Sal the Salmon Fav, beautiful natured girl

The Rock sisters are still here, both have chilled out, can even pat them when on the nst now which is more than I can say about some of the other girls.

Our Blue Australorp 'Belle", After taking this pic I noticed she had a bit of a saggy backside so I had to give her a good looking over. I hope it's just a bit of early vent gleet and not internal egg laying. I increased the dose of ACV as a start.

Sagginess is clearer in this pic. I could not feel an egg in there, it was thin on feathers though.

The play coop got a modification as the days started to get longer. I made some hinged doors for teh windows. TYhey have spaces in the top and bottom but reduce the early morning noise while still allowing air in. Can open them right up when it's hot.

That's about it for updates, the vines are going gang busters, forgot to get a wide shot of the run.

Last edited:

Let's see if this works... Saw this on my facebook and thought of you

Back
Top Bottom