Our special needs baby, "Daffy" and a question about their oil, we need a lil help please!!!

I have a pekin duck that was almost completely paralyzed due to a dog attack. It took her a month of aquatherapy and a shot of steroids to reduce swelling in her spine, but she is now walking just fine! It took her a month to walk and two more months to walk properly, but we didn't want to give up on her.
For that month she couldn't walk, she could not spread her oil at all. We did it for her the best we could, but we couldn't spread is as well as a duck can! We had to towel dry her and put her under a heat lamp for a little while to warm up after she swam in the tub. I just can't coat every single little feather like ducks do!

We had decided that if she didn't recover, we were going to make her a wheel chair so she could get around and play a little bit. If your duckling could manage to scoot the chair without having to hold up her weight, maybe that would be a good idea! This page has some info on them:

http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/mmissue62.htm
We've made a few of those slings, working on a newer model as I type...TY!

You are so patient and kind to be looking after that poor duck so well.

I could not do all that every day for the next 10 years of my life... wow! will you take her with you when you go on holidays, or maybe someone else in your family will take care of her?

She is very cute!

Our holidays are spent here, taking care of babies! We have over 100 pet ducks and chickens in 18 coops and 5 bators running 24/7, we are anchored here LOL

Baby Daffy passed away last night...We laid her to rest this morning...RIP baby doll...

I'm so very sorry for your loss of Daffy. You are a very special person to have taken such good care of her. She was loved and blessed to have you. I had a little duck to that had probably the same problems as Daffy had. I loved him so much and I lost him too. (((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))) God bless.

Patty

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom