Our VERY FIRST EGG !! :)

Sometimes heat can cause them as heat is stressful. It's not from a lack of calcium, shells get brittle usually when it's that.

so it's not due to the heat or lack of calcium ?

When my girls first started laying, they all laid at least a couple soft-shelled eggs to start...then once their system regulated all was fine. Also, to answer your earlier question, chickens pull calcium from their bones for eggshells so that's why it's important to have oyster shell and/or layer feed available. Congratulations on your first eggs!

When my girls first started laying, they all laid at least a couple soft-shelled eggs to start...then once their system regulated all was fine. Also, to answer your earlier question, chickens pull calcium from their bones for eggshells so that's why it's important to have oyster shell and/or layer feed available. Congratulations on your first eggs!

at the moment i'm not sure which hen it was

but no egg problem from my leghorn (beside) the pecked egg the first time.. but putting the nesting box right in the coop helped..

for leghorn eggs are pretty small in comparison to the other hens'..

my 1st hen started laying about 2+ now or so. but its eggs are still not as big as the store bought eggs.. maybe it's the breed type? so my backyard eggs will not get any bigger ?

check the bottom of the feet. Yellow would be Jersey giant, and pink would be Australorp. My guess would be the darker eggs or the one shade lighter.

check the bottom of the feet. Yellow would be Jersey giant, and pink would be Australorp. My guess would be the darker eggs or the one shade lighter.

thanks i didn't know that

i'll check it later today

honestly.. at first i thought it would be a black egg.. since it's a black chicken and all..
roll.png

Last edited:
How old was your layer? I have my first ones that are almost weeks old now, and I am still hoping they are all girls. Rhode Island Red, Black Ostralorp, Easter Egger, and Silver Laced Wyandotte.

Back
Top Bottom