Outside Skirting … is this ok?

It is safe to leave your pop door open 24/7? No predators can get to it? That's wild!
Although I'm a fine one be even the least bit critical, we leave the man door to our coop open fron daylight to nearly dark, anything could just walk right in. We've had a possum in there a couple of times but it seemed more interested in the chicken feed than the chickens. He won't be coming back, though.

Although I'm a fine one be even the least bit critical, we leave the man door to our coop open fron daylight to nearly dark, anything could just walk right in. We've had a possum in there a couple of times but it seemed more interested in the chicken feed than the chickens. He won't be coming back, though.
I close up the man door every night (if I let them out of the enclosed run during the day). When the man door is closed, the inside is secure, unless something digs under, which is what started this thread ;)

My setup (old pic, we added trees for shade):

IMG_2615.jpg

My goofy hens have dust-bathed close to the framework of their run, leaving gaps underneath. We never installed an apron, as we got the chickens long before we ever heard of BYC. I suppose we'll install one retroactively but meanwhile the coop is still secure even though the run is not. *Always learning!*

That is not my photo, I was just using it to show what 'could be' after I added the rocks. The first two are of my current wire, the last 2 are examples/ideas for covering the wire.

My run is attached to my coop. I leave the pop door open most of the time (unless it is brutally cold). Picture of my set up attached.

View attachment 3810484

And this is what I had in mind for the rocks covering the wire:

View attachment 3810485
OH! Sorry I shouldn't have done a speed-read. I get it. They look secure to me! So basically predators have to make it through your free range fencing AND THEN also your run? That's really good. I think you're plenty day time predator proof and if you locked them up at night, you'd certainly meet my criteria.

Thank you! We had it covered in dirt and mulch (nothing will grow, especially grass). So, are you recommending keeping the current wire and covering with some dirt and smaller stone?
Yes. Dirt and small gravel or mulch would do fine. I use mulch because it has more give to it than stone, and when you step on it, the weight spreads out more on the wire, a lot less point loads, but I'm probably way overthinking it. Just make your wire "invisible" to predators, and encourage them to come right up to the coop wall so they'll get stopped by the wire when they dig.

Back
Top Bottom