Overly Aggressive Rooster

To dispatch him.. the method is up to you. I believe the most common method is to use a kill cone and slit his throat. I suggest watching as many videos as you can to learn how. The one bit of advice I see repeated over and over with that method is that your knife cannot be sharp enough. The sharper you can get, the better (many will use disposable box cutter blades). This ensures a clean, deep cut so that it happens quickly and he doesn't suffer. Others will lop off the head with an ax.. but that can be difficult, especially with a large bird.

If killing himself is not for you, you may want to look up "Chicken Processing Services" in your area and see if you can pay someone else.. or purposely sell him as a meat bird.

I must say that for this forum and this thread in particular, I try and see things through the others perspective. If your roo is too aggressive for you then I definitely recommend just putting him in the crock pot. If you have never processed before, I recommend an ax and skinning. That way you don't get the smell that may horrify a first timer. Skinless.

Honestly, I like a roo with a little bit of "TUDE", if you know what I mean. But that is because I have almost 1.5 acres of grass & cover and I free range my birds. My kids are old enough to show a rooster who's boss and I don't have that worry. Plus I hand feed treats and sometimes (I have two roos currently) one will give me the sidestep. I will grab em and show em a thing or two or will run them off into isolation. It does teach them to an extent. I've put mine on their backs a couple of times and I believe this helped their attitude. I think that a free range rooster is a little more at ease with me the keeper and a lot more wary of other predator stuff. But that is just my opinion. Yours being a big boy chicken may tend to intimidate, and I get that. It takes a little gumption at first but once you best a big bad rooster, you'll see that you are in control and don't need to fear. Again if you are afraid of what he might do.....winner winner, chicken dinner

Best of wishes to ya.

Thank you Chicken Charm, we have at least 13 acres of free space, and yet he goes over to our neighbors and has attacked them, that's the real issue. I love him, but... he's just too aggressive

Thank you Chicken Charm, we have at least 13 acres of free space, and yet he goes over to our neighbors and has attacked them, that's the real issue. I love him, but... he's just too aggressive
You really shouldn't keep him around if there is a chance he will harm your neighbors, especailly on their own property. This is a sue happy world. Send him to freezer camp and get a better mannered roo.

If he's going over to the neighbors and attacking them, he definitely needs to go. We use the hatchet and stump method to kill our chickens. Some people (like my husband) are coordinated enough to do this by themselves, but we usually work on this as a team. I hold the bird's feed, he sticks the neck between two nails in a stump, I gently pull and stretch the bird, he lops the head off. If I had to kill a chicken myself, I'd probably try a cone and a VERY sharp knife to completely decapitate. I would not just slice and let it bleed out. I'd rather have it over with immediately. If you can't kill your rooster, advertise him to give away, do so with full disclosure and realize that he'll probably become someone's Sunday dinner.

My Experience with A RIR rooster.

I have a rather aggressive rooster myself he's just over a year old now. We have had many a battle over who is King of the coop & who is the prince!

It started when he was young & developing into his own (5-6 mths). First it was running at me and stopping short when I would spin around to face him (likes to sneak up from the back) & stand my ground. That was good for a few times. (plus it was kinda cool this little guy standing up for his girls) .Then he proceeded to be more brave & would jump at my shin. My FOOLISH quick remedy was to put my foot up & bounce him backward with a shove from the bottom of my shoe. This was NO GOOD as it was just what he was looking for. Round one winner: Rooster.

So I then tried the no retaliation approach. This was a minor success for a while. It would unfold with the rooster just trying to attack my shoe. So I left it at that. This worked well. (in hind sight joke was on me). As I gathered the eggs, etc. I would leave my foot out there for the attack. The rooster would peck, bounce of it, etc. When he discovered that it didn't fight back he just went higher again. This didn't bother me until he went for my head. Then I'd had enough. Another battle took place that day. The result was a week (give or take a few days) of my chicken chores being done while keeping him in view & him keeping his distance. Winner: Temporary draw.

I was happy things seemed good, until it started again. The rooster waited until I was partially out of the coop & let me have it; again jumping up at me. This continued even as I secured the coop door latches. I was really angry at this point. All this time I'm thinking he's just protecting the hens plus I'm in his territory. So upon my next visit I brought along a friend. A 4-5' 1x3 board. All was well until as I was exiting the coop with him in view & he attacked again. It caused me to break my eggs for the day. This triggered the anger & it was on. Another battle was fought that day. Winner: ME.

Now since that last battle, when I start flipping the latches to enter the coop he runs behind the hen house & paces the fence to stay away from me. This he does until I exit the coop. He charges the fence on my approach & my departure, but let's me do my routine when I'm in the coop. Things are good.

In short things I tried with little to no success: Catching him & petting till calm several times. Holding him upside down several times. Boot to the chest several times. Treats for distraction every time. Talking & singing low & soft several times, silence several times, Board introduction once. King of the coop seems to be established!

Back
Top Bottom