Painted Turkeys from porters

2FD8CE9E-BF6A-48B6-9BD3-F785F261E2FE.jpeg

Looks like they were in fact imported from Australia. What strikes me immediately about this post is the blue eyes part, maybe the gene is a form of piebaldism/albanism?

It has been shown that the blue eyes is linked to the black color gene. Many of my Blue Slates had blue eyes and they are black based.
I see, that makes sense since they’re black based birds. I’m wondering how the grizzled paints fall in with this, selectively bred to be darker or something different genetically?

I see, that makes sense since they’re black based birds. I’m wondering how the grizzled paints fall in with this, selectively bred to be darker or something different genetically?
Just have to wait and see when he lists the color genetics for their color varieties. Thought maybe I could play with the color calculator to get an idea of what they are but he does not have painted gene as an option.

Guessing:

Dominant Slate Painted (BB cc Dd EE NN PnPn RR SlSl spsp)

Painted (BB Cc Dd EE NN PnPn RR SlSl spsp)

Chocolate Painted (BB Cc Dd ee or e- NN PnPn RR SlSl spsp)

Just have to wait and see when he lists the color genetics for their color varieties. Thought maybe I could play with the color calculator to get an idea of what they are but he does not have painted gene as an option.

Guessing:

Dominant Slate Painted (BB cc Dd EE NN PnPn RR SlSl spsp)

Painted (BB Cc Dd EE NN PnPn RR SlSl spsp)

Chocolate Painted (BB Cc Dd ee or e- NN PnPn RR SlSl spsp)
My guess is somewhat similar. I don’t think painted has the spotted mutation, I think it’s probably a new mutation located on the same site as white.

Painted (pt//c)
(BB ptc dd EE NN PnPn RR SlSl SpSp)

Tuxedo (pt//pt)
(BB ptpt dd EE NN PnPn RR SlSl SpSp)

Grizzled Painted (pt//cg)
(BB ptcg dd EE NN PnPn RR SlSl SpSp)

Chocolate Painted
(BB ptc dd ee NN PnPn RR SlSl SpSp)

This is just my guess based off of what is known as of now.

Last edited:
My guess is somewhat similar. I don’t think painted has the spotted mutation, I think it’s probably a new mutation located on the same site as white.

Painted (pt//c)
(BB ptc dd EE NN PnPn RR SlSl SpSp)

Grizzled Painted (pt//pt)
(BB ptpt dd EE NN PnPn RR SlSl SpSp)

Tuxedo (pt//cg)
(BB ptcg dd EE NN PnPn RR SlSl SpSp)

Chocolate Painted
(BB ptc dd ee NN PnPn RR SlSl SpSp)

This is just my guess based off of what is known as of now.
It would seem that Porter disagrees with you.

Feather Color Genetics

It would seem that Porter disagrees with you.

Feather Color Genetics
Since the paints only have “genetic info to come” in their description, I’m relatively certain it’s a new mutation. If it were a combination of known mutations there would probably be a known genotype already considering that Porter has had them for a couple of years by now. I don’t think it’s the spotting gene, because the spotting gene is a recessive gene and we know the paints don’t breed true. Additionally they don’t have the brown head spot. The only way for a recessive gene to express with one copy is if the other gene is also recessive. There are 4 variations we know are related to the paints: white, paint, grizzled paint, and tuxedo. Under the circumstances that the paint gene is recessive and resides on the second locus and was pt//c, it would produce 25% white(c//c), 25% tuxedo(pt//pt), and 50% paint(pt//c), which lines up perfectly with what’s known so far. That’s my reasoning behind why I think it’s a new mutation on the color locus, and not the spotting locus.

The paints don't breed true is because of other genes than the spotted gene. You are dealing with a known dominant gene (Slate - D) that exhibits the "it doesn't breed true" case. I have seen no information that indicates any other reason for them to not breed true when they all turn out as painted implying it is other color genes causing the failure to breed true..

Back
Top Bottom