Painted Turkeys from porters

The paints don't breed true is because of other genes than the spotted gene. You are dealing with a known dominant gene (Slate - D) that exhibits the "it doesn't breed true" case. I have seen no information that indicates any other reason for them to not breed true when they all turn out as painted implying it is other color genes causing the failure to breed true..
They do not all turn out paint, part of them turn out white. Regular paints also do not exhibit the dilution of color you would get from having the slate gene present. The spotting gene is hyper specific to the Nebraskan turkeys, which as of present day do not exist in the US.

Kevin also has a new spotted variety called Harvey Spotted, they are red spotted instead of black spotted as in the Nebraskans. They are entirely different from the painted or grizzled. The blue eyes are linked to the black gene, this is how I tell if my Holland Whites are black based or bronze based; bronze based will have brown eyes, black based will have blue.
The Harvey Speckled have me excited that the Nebraskan can be remade!
There again, we do not know the specifics of the genetics of the Harvey but I figure they will be forthcoming.

Kevin also has a new spotted variety called Harvey Spotted, they are red spotted instead of black spotted as in the Nebraskans. They are entirely different from the painted or grizzled. The blue eyes are linked to the black gene, this is how I tell if my Holland Whites are black based or bronze based; bronze based will have brown eyes, black based will have blue.
The Harvey Speckled have me excited that the Nebraskan can be remade!
There again, we do not know the specifics of the genetics of the Harvey but I figure they will be forthcoming.
I do breed Harvey Speckled as well, and also here I can give a small spoiler, they also don't carry the spotting mutation. 😁

@R2elk @Capricoco

I can give you a small spoiler. Kevin will soon release the official conclusion on his studies about the Painted turkeys. 😉
I can tell you so much: Painted and Spotted turkeys do carry different mutations. Painted turkeys do not breed true and it's not a dominant mutation.
Ah, I see! Good to know. Guess we’ll get to see how close all the guesses were when he releases the info.

Has anyone crossed a painted turkey to a non-painted? Just curious if the gene is dominant and shows up with only one painted parent. I have some poults now that I hatched from a friends eggs that were fathered by a painted tom, but have non-painted mothers (lavenders, sweetgrass, etc.) I am very excited to watch them feather out and see if the painted gene shows up in any of them.

Since the paints only have “genetic info to come” in their description, I’m relatively certain it’s a new mutation. If it were a combination of known mutations there would probably be a known genotype already considering that Porter has had them for a couple of years by now. I don’t think it’s the spotting gene, because the spotting gene is a recessive gene and we know the paints don’t breed true. Additionally they don’t have the brown head spot. The only way for a recessive gene to express with one copy is if the other gene is also recessive. There are 4 variations we know are related to the paints: white, paint, grizzled paint, and tuxedo. Under the circumstances that the paint gene is recessive and resides on the second locus and was pt//c, it would produce 25% white(c//c), 25% tuxedo(pt//pt), and 50% paint(pt//c), which lines up perfectly with what’s known so far. That’s my reasoning behind why I think it’s a new mutation on the color locus, and not the spotting locus.
This is very interesting as I have a white poult that has cropped up from a painted Tom bred to several hens, one of which was a rusty black (grizzled cross). Other hens were slate, lavender, and sweetgrass. I have at least 2 that are looking chocolate painted, one is looking grizzled black, and one is white. The others are looking chocolate, chocolate slate, rusty black, and two solid black. Here is a pic of their down colors when they were a little bit younger. The color dots on the pic represent the zip tie color they are wearing. The little solid white one has no black specks or anything.

Screenshot_20231218_093532_Gallery.jpg

Back
Top Bottom