Painting

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

An unoccupied coop can be painted with any paint rated for exterior use. Never use interior paint outside, even if it’s on the inside of the coop.
Can you please tell me how I can fix the issue if I accidentally did use interior paint? I was so focused on getting low voc paint I grabbed a gallon and got the whole first coat on without realizing it was for interior! It does have mildew preventing listed on the can.

Can you please tell me how I can fix the issue if I accidentally did use interior paint? I was so focused on getting low voc paint I grabbed a gallon and got the whole first coat on without realizing it was for interior! It does have mildew preventing listed on the can.
You could just paint over it but it won't last like it should. I would suggest getting as much of that interior off as the exterior paint is now going to be adhering to the short-life interior paint and not your structure.

If it were me, I'd go to a paint store in town and ask them the best way. I'm going to gander that hubby would get out the sandpaper and at least buff the whole thing. Depending on the size, we may even rent a sandblaster.

It's going to peel off the wood. It isn't formulated with the amount of flex and grip required for the huge temperature and humidity swings experienced outside of a climate controlled environment. You could try stripping it off with Citristrip then scraping with a metal taping knife, wiping down the walls with water and lightly sanding then hitting the wood with a good exterior primer and painting. Or see how long it lasts before it starts to peel but I would worry about the chickens eating too much of the paint. They will likely entertain themselves by pulling off strips and eating it.

Last edited:
Where did you use it exactly? There would be a difference between exterior of coop and interior of a large, insulated barn like coop, etc....

Welcome. You could try using a primer and then painting exterior over it - it may give you more time between painting.
If the base coat is of the wrong formulation, painting over it with the correct formulation is not going to stick it down.

Inside the large insulated interior coop.
The OP was asking about the exterior of the coop.

If you used interior paint on the inside of your coop, just leave it alone. We'd have suggested exterior paint in there too or the heavier kitchen paint, but it's not as critical as putting interior paint on the exterior of a building as we thought you had.

Back
Top Bottom