Livwhitwoo

In the Brooder
Nov 8, 2019
Hi All!

I've just taken on an allotment site in my local UK based village.

I've been looking at purchasing a coop to put on the allotment for my two chooks however they're all extremely expensive for something that looks like with a huff of wind, it'll topple over.

My farmer friend delivered me 20 pallets last weekend and after having a browse on here i've realised I could potentially used them to create a chicken coop and run.

Has anyone on here got any plans or coops that they've made from pallets? I'd love to see them for inspiration as this is the first coop i'll have built. So yes, i'm a complete novice.

I'm wanting to build a run onto the coop that is tall enough that I can walk straight in - i'm 5ft4.

Thanks so much!

Sorry I don’t. But I’d check your allotments rules on the height of your chicken coop, if you haven’t already. I had one two years ago and was not allowed to build it taller than 4ft. There are some ridiculous rules for them which is why I don’t own one anymore.

If you search ‘DIY pallet chicken coops’ on Google it should bring up some articles/threads on BYC.

Here is my coop made from pallets. It's 8x8 and 9 feet tall. There's a door you can walk in as well. It's fully insulated and has vents on the top. The roof is rubber roofing. We made this from all free materials we got from contractors.

IMG_20191013_113502.jpg

Sorry I don’t. But I’d check your allotments rules on the height of your chicken coop, if you haven’t already. I had one two years ago and was not allowed to build it taller than 4ft. There are some ridiculous rules for them which is why I don’t own one anymore.

If you search ‘DIY pallet chicken coops’ on Google it should bring up some articles/threads on BYC.

I'm lucky that we don't have any restrictions, lot's of people have allotments with chickens on. The only rule is that we can't have anymore than 6 chickens. Sorry to hear that you had so many silly rules imposed on you!

Pallets can be difficult to work with if you don’t have the right equipment to break them down, plane them, and such. If you are a building novice this may be more difficult for you to do well than starting with new materials. I wanted to use pallets for planters one summer, but couldn’t get them broken down efficiently to reuse.

Pallets can be difficult to work with if you don’t have the right equipment to break them down, plane them, and such. If you are a building novice this may be more difficult for you to do well than starting with new materials. I wanted to use pallets for planters one summer, but couldn’t get them broken down efficiently to reuse.
I just simply can't afford to purchase all of the materials new, DIY stores in the UK are really expensive.

Back
Top Bottom