Paper-piecing quilt question?

I have to say that the you-tube videos did help alot! I spent several hours yesterday attempting paper-piecing and think I FINALLY got it!
lol.png
But, can't decide if I really like it so think I will try to make a small wall hanging and see how I feel then. I am not willing to give up too soon!

I really had a problem with the pattern on the opposite side and feel like it is way too much trouble to trace it on multiple blocks. Any suggestions?
(I feel like you waste alot of fabric or is it just me)?

(thanks for the comments, advise & suggestions)
smile.png

I have just finished a quilt top, "grandmothers flower garden" that is paper pieced and it was easy to baste the fabric over the hexagons. I've never tried another pattern but am thinking about the mariners compass.

I would love to see a photo!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I feel like a dumbie
hide.gif
- shouldn't I be sewing on the side of pattern with the lines??? I had watched several videos but one showed sewing on the back side of the Xerox copy....is that correct??

On my paper pieced flower garden you fold the material over the paper piece and baste it, leaving the hexagon paper piece in place until you have joined several of the hexagons together. I didn't sew throught all of it, just basted the material over it to hold it in place. I have a phot, lets see if I can upload it.

30439_my_handpieced_quilts_in_progress-2010_002.jpg

Yeah! it worked.
thumbsup.gif

It is going to be queen size. I still have to put the border on it and then I'll quilt it by hand when the weather turns colder (I live in the desert) I think it will look better hand quilted. I have another quilt I hand pieced that is ready for quilting as soon as I get the backing. It's 5 inch hexegons with six pointed stars joined around. I'll add a photo of it. It is also queen size since they're both for me but I just finished a queen size for my granddaughter who is getting married next month. We're flying back to NC for the wedding.

30439_my_handpieced_quilts_in_progress-2010_001.jpg

"Baustin" - your hexagon quilt is beautiful! I machine piece my quilts (I don't have the patience to hand piece, LOL)

I have only been quilting since March 2010. The largest quilt I have made is a twin x-long that was for my youngest son that went to college.
Actually, the paper pieced pineapple quilt is for my oldest son that will be getting married Oct 2012
smile.png

Thank you, I like it too. I was afraid I'd get burned out working on it and that's the reason I started the grandmothers garden but I didn't get tired of either one. I just bought fabric for another log cabin for my other granddaughter, sister to the one that is getting married in Oct. She's already married but now she wants one and that's fine with me because it is machine sewn and goes quickly.

Happy quilting, Betty

your post got me thinking: I have an old quilting project where I cut the strips all funny not knowing any better. I decided to save it by doing a slightly smaller log cabin with the pieces and paper piecing it... let's see if I can get up a picture of it so far...

apparently I have to go do some reading about how to upload a picture, but in the mean time you could see pics of it on my blog at: Cathartica Farm

Back
Top Bottom