Parasites/fleas(?) have invaded my coup

Stynieke

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 24, 2018
Belgium
Hey everyone!

I'm new here - but I've lurked here and there on this forum. But today, I need your help :(.
I'm not from the US, so I'll try to use the best english I can!

I don't know much about all this; It's the coup of my dad, and I help him around a lot.
A few days ago, we noticed our chickens wouldn't remain in their henhouse. I looked inside, and suddenly my hand started itching - and part of my hand was practically covered with these white bastards.

The henhouse was getting rather old - so we destroyed it. And bought another henhouse. I just put it together today - but I noticed that on the wood of the new henhouse - the fleas (?) were there - they got there so fast! Just walking around the location of the old henhouse my legs started itching because of the fleas.

We already bought some powder and a spray that I sprayed the henhouse with and the location of the old henhouse. We also bought some powder that we have to put in their food so that they'll smell.
Finally we also bought tabacco straws that we had to cover the inside of the henhouse with (the shopkeeper said).

Problem is: most of our chickens aren't that tame. We have a big yard and a big coop - so we just let them run free. So putting powder on them is rather difficult.

Now - my question to you: Do you guys have any idea what it is exactly? And what is in your experienced opinion the best way to eradicate them? The fleas are in a big number - and I'm scared to just put them off the chickens won't be enough to kill them all?

Pictures: (hopefully it's enough? I had a close up of one of them. This is taken on the new henhouse - so it are just a few, but there's a lot more.)
https://imgur.com/a/TfESwi0

Thank you in advance!

Dusting the chickens will be easier after dark once they settle down for the night. I've never used tobacco straw so I can't say anything about it's effectiveness. I know permethrin has good results, both dust and spray. I would start by completely emptying the coop of anything not built in. Spray the coop while it's empty especially cracks and corners. Change the bedding and anything else that you keep in there. You may also want to treat the area around the coop and in the run.
Pictures of the coop and it's area may help others with more information.

Welcome to BYC!
Your english is good!

Can't really tell what you've got there.
Zooming in close enough the pic was very clear.
Doesn't look like and flea I've ever seen.

There are so many different insects they can be very difficult to identify.
Most bugs don't bug chickens...these may only be bugging you.

Have you checked the birds over real well for mites and/or lice?
-Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.
-Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.
Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.
Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Knowing your location might help.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-7-24_16-55-7.png

Back
Top Bottom