Partial Frizzling or What?

Aug 13, 2017
the coop
Hello Ya'll wonderful chicken people! I recently received 2 new peeps from the local school (you can read about that more here ---> http://thewayofthechicken.com/index.php/2018/05/30/the-new-chicks-plus-funny-video/)
Both chicks are mixed breeds.

The young girl that gave them to me wasn't sure on breeds but she said Rhode Island Red, Wyandotte and Amaraucanas where listed... Given that and general looks, I'm guessing one is Columbian Wyandotte x Rhode Island red (Bean) and the other is something along the lines of a Columbian Wyandotte Easter Egger (Blueberry).
Blueberry is starting get some really strong curling on the head (just like a frizzle?) and seems to have a tuff of feathers sticking straight up right on the top. However, its just the head... which is weird... really weird. I am not a pro but I have raised dozens of chicks of many different breeds (including RIRs, Wyandottes and EEs) and never have I seen anything that curly or windblown looking on a smooth feathered chick (some of Blueberry's head feathers curl so far that they point towards the beak!). Bean is not showing any feather curling.

I have never raised frizzles though I've read a lot about them and I've never heard of a 'partial frizzle'. Is this just a quirky chick or is it frizzling? On the other hand... is this odd head feathering the result of a partial crest (like some Olive Eggers)?

Thanks so much for your time! :)
I appreciate it.

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_4446.JPG
IMG_4438.JPG
IMG_0764.JPG

And here's a picture of Bean for reference...

IMG_0771.JPG

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hello Ya'll wonderful chicken people! I recently received 2 new peeps from the local school (you can read about that more here ---> http://thewayofthechicken.com/index.php/2018/05/30/the-new-chicks-plus-funny-video/)
Both chicks are mixed breeds.

The young girl that gave them to me wasn't sure on breeds but she said Rhode Island Red, Wyandotte and Amaraucanas where listed... Given that and general looks, I'm guessing one is Columbian Wyandotte x Rhode Island red (Bean) and the other is something along the lines of a Columbian Wyandotte Easter Egger (Blueberry).
Blueberry is starting get some really strong curling on the head (just like a frizzle?) and seems to have a tuff of feathers sticking straight up right on the top. However, its just the head... which is weird... really weird. I am not a pro but I have raised dozens of chicks of many different breeds (including RIRs, Wyandottes and EEs) and never have I seen anything that curly or windblown looking on a smooth feathered chick (some of Blueberry's head feathers curl so far that they point towards the beak!). Bean is not showing any feather curling.

I have never raised frizzles though I've read a lot about them and I've never heard of a 'partial frizzle'. Is this just a quirky chick or is it frizzling? On the other hand... is this odd head feathering the result of a partial crest (like some Olive Eggers)?

Thanks so much for your time! :)
I appreciate it.

View attachment 1460645
View attachment 1460586View attachment 1460589 View attachment 1460613

And here's a picture of Bean for reference...

View attachment 1460619
Looks like juvenile feathers just coming in funny.

Not up with how a lot of breeds chicks look except the ones I am raising. But maybe possibly some polish blood in her? I believe that is the start of a walnut comb, but am not positive

I know some time has passed but I am curious what your chick looks like now. I wanted to share that I think I have a partial frizzle. At least that is what I have called her. I am not a breeder so I don't know my way around chicken breeds and the genes involved but I was researching what to call my chicken when I came upon your post.
A friend of mine and I bought day old chicks from someone in the central coast area of California. She was a breeder of sorts. We bought about 15 day old lavender Orpingtons from her. Only one of those turned out partially frizzled. When she was about 2-3 weeks old and her feathers started coming in is when we knew something wasn't right with her. Before that she looked like like all the rest of the chicks. This was my first time raising chickens and I had no idea feathers could be "frizzled". The weird feathers stared with her wings, not her head. They were really curled and she just looked like a hot mess! Shes 3 now and she certainly isn't a full frizzle. But she is far from smooth like the rest of my flock, so she is somewhere in between. But everything I read is they are either frizzled or smooth. So I don't know what the proper term is for her. Ill try to post a picture of her later. But I would like to know if she should not be bred to a frizzle roo? I really want to dabble in frizzles but don't want health issues with the offspring.

4A4195D5-F2A3-4A54-A3D3-9A335CC473F1.jpeg
This doesn’t give you the best view but you can see how her feathers are tattered looking and split at the edges. She has smoothed out as she’s gotten older.

Attachments

• C2968D1A-FA86-40D0-88F1-C4037BF0C8BA.jpeg
    C2968D1A-FA86-40D0-88F1-C4037BF0C8BA.jpeg
    416.2 KB · Views: 4
  • BBBA7CFD-5935-4A1B-AF44-BA34540ADF47.jpeg
    BBBA7CFD-5935-4A1B-AF44-BA34540ADF47.jpeg
    416.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 1D19D33B-CBCD-41BD-B882-4D5E573835F2.jpeg
    1D19D33B-CBCD-41BD-B882-4D5E573835F2.jpeg
    416.2 KB · Views: 4
View attachment 1507235 This doesn’t give you the best view but you can see how her feathers are tattered looking and split at the edges. She has smoothed out as she’s gotten older.

That's Interesting and really cute chicken! :) She's definitely not camera shy... just like my peeps haha. Head shots are easy. Whole body... not so much. :p

I believe that what you are seeing that looks like frizzling in your hen is called 'Shredding'. Shredding, is not limited to the tail though it is often more concentrated around the tail area. The characteristic is more commonly seen in lavender colored chickens (often due to the lavender gene).
You can read more about the relation of shredding and the lavender gene in chickens here----> https://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-breeding/the-lavender-gene/).

As for what Blueberry (definitely cockerel) looks like now, these are some more recent pics. Mr. Bean (also boy), the sibling, has a little bit of that peculiar curling in the back as well... but it's hardly noticeable.... oh and yeah... the crested is also boy. I got 3 peeps this year and they're all dudes (though very sweet ones). Oh boy (very literally)...

chick-partial-frizzling-no-crested-chick.JPG

funny-crest-chick-easter-egger-crested-cross-breed-chick.JPG

creasted-chick-easter-egger-cute-chicken-thoughtful.JPG

chicken-cute-funny-feathers.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 1507235 This doesn’t give you the best view but you can see how her feathers are tattered looking and split at the edges. She has smoothed out as she’s gotten older.
That is actually shredding, the poor quality feathering from the lavender gene. No frizzling.

Back
Top Bottom