Partridge cochin gender?

Studio2770

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2013
We named her Olivia, but we now call her Olive, between an Olivia and Oliver. She and her "sister" are 3 weeks old. I know it's early to determine, but she sticks out. She's alert, active, noisy, and the least feathered. She had no tail feathers while the other cochin, Gracie, and our EE, Harley(Harley is 2 weeks old), both have tail feathers. Gracie is the most feathered while Harley comes in second. The partridge is Olive and the black/blue is Gracie. Gracie is more docile. I can hear Olive chirping right now.
lol.png

Hi yes that's right males tend to have a darker down color, also check the wing feathers also indicates it's a girl, she is already showing the pencelling only found on girl partrigde chickens!

Hi yes that's right males tend to have a darker down color, also check the wing feathers also indicates it's a girl, she is already showing the pencelling only found on girl partrigde chickens!
Ok good. What exactly IS penciling? Here are some more.

Pencillling is the black and brown stripes on the wing feathers on your chick, the whole hen will be covered in pencilling when she's mature!males will have a solid black breast, Lemon yellow hackles excetra!

Your little baby is so cute! Sounds like she has a great personality.
I believe that I may have the same type breed as yours, given to us as a "mystery chick." As a small chick it also had the same dark/ fawn down coloring and very slow feathering in (In the photo it is 6 weeks old.).

Am confused if ours is a male or female though- s/he is very shy, reclusive, avoids my attention by hiding under our PR RIR. Although I try to be ultra gentle, affectionate and quiet while handling it, I haven't been able to get it to eat more than a few bites of apple out of my hand. (But I keep trying!) I have been thinking it was a roo- hangs out usually with our PR boys and gets into some leg kicking matches, and is sometimes bullied by them. I have heard it "purr" on occasion,

which is something I've never heard our RIR do. Have you heard your little one purr?

Back
Top Bottom