Pastured poultry--what are you charging this year?

Quote:
I'm in Central, N ew York.

I would like to sell enough just to pay for my expenses & the ones I keep myself. Anyone around here have an estimate?

Several years ago, there was a person around here that was selling cxs for $3.50 a lb, as free range. I wonder if its higher now. I have FRs.

Quote:
I'm in Central, N ew York.

I would like to sell enough just to pay for my expenses & the ones I keep myself. Anyone around here have an estimate?

Several years ago, there was a person around here that was selling cxs for $3.50 a lb, as free range. I wonder if its higher now. I have FRs.

If you are not using quality forage, pasture..you will have to charge quite a bit more for broilers which are raised on bagged feed.
We are an Organic operation and have been mixing our own feed for three years now. And use our pastures to the fullest. May-Oct.
If you are buying your feed by the bag your cost are going to be very high as compared to purchasing a ton of feed at a time.

I think that non organic broilers have sold on average of $4.00 per lb at 2010 pricing.
Having said that, feed prices have gone up about 30% for bagged since Fall 2010.
So you will have to take into account what method you are using before you can price your broilers for this season.
Best of luck

Quote:
I think we get a premium price for our pastured birds is because you can't buy a pasture fed bird at the store. Pastured birds are said to be higher in nutrients and lower in cholesterol, thus making them attractive to those who are trying to eat healthy. I can tell you that none of my customers are hurting for money.

I saw pasturized, organic, chicken at my gocery store, almost $8 a pound, but it was there. The organic eggs are 3.99 a dozen. This is why I am gettng a flock of birds to raise.

Quote:
I think we get a premium price for our pastured birds is because you can't buy a pasture fed bird at the store. Pastured birds are said to be higher in nutrients and lower in cholesterol, thus making them attractive to those who are trying to eat healthy. I can tell you that none of my customers are hurting for money.

I saw pasturized, organic, chicken at my gocery store, almost $8 a pound, but it was there. The organic eggs are 3.99 a dozen. This is why I am gettng a flock of birds to raise.

Just an observation... Gas prices are jumping upwards dayly ($0.38 / gal. in the last 3 weeks)... feed prices jumped by $1.00 / 50 pound bag last week. The types of chickens you have may be pretty to look at ,but are not the most efficient feed to meat and egg converters around. Also,they have a very long grow out period (added labor... from 6-8 or 12-14 weeks to their 20-24 weeks). Seeing what others are going to sell their chickens for here... I would consider investing in another freezer to hold the resulting flock of birds as one will have quite a long holding period if one expects to sell them at $8.00 / pound. 4 lb. dressed bird X $8.00/lb= $32.00 !

Quote:

Just an observation... Gas prices are jumping upwards dayly ($0.38 / gal. in the last 3 weeks)... feed prices jumped by $1.00 / 50 pound bag last week. The types of chickens you have may be pretty to look at ,but are not the most efficient feed to meat and egg converters around. Also,they have a very long grow out period (added labor... from 6-8 or 12-14 weeks to their 20-24 weeks). Seeing what others are going to sell their chickens for here... I would consider investing in another freezer to hold the resulting flock of birds as one will have quite a long holding period if one expects to sell them at $8.00 / pound. 4 lb. dressed bird X $8.00/lb= $32.00 !

I spoke to my SIL, who also happens to work at the local coop extenson as a farm business manager. They had a dinner last fall to showcase local grown feed & paid $10 for chicken breast that was " pastured". Woozers....

The birds I have listed in my signature line are for an egg laying flock. We will be getting cxs in late spring when the layers go into the coop. I was surprised to see the organic chicken at my gocery store at all, but not too surprised at the $8 price tag, since I know that is what it was going for at the whole foods store I shopped at in CA. Maybe it is just the prices in CA and the NYC area are so high.

Quote:
$8 per lb or $8 for a typical 3 to 3.5 lb bird?

The organic broilers that you find in the store aren't necessarily pastured, just fed organic feed.

The National Organic Standards Board is soon going to recommend that the USDA National Organic Program require outdoor access for all poultry, to include layer hens, pullets over 12 weeks old, and broilers over 4 weeks old. We'll see how that goes...

Quote:
$8 per lb or $8 for a typical 3 to 3.5 lb bird?

The organic broilers that you find in the store aren't necessarily pastured, just fed organic feed.

The National Organic Standards Board is soon going to recommend that the USDA National Organic Program require outdoor access for all poultry, to include layer hens, pullets over 12 weeks old, and broilers over 4 weeks old. We'll see how that goes...

It was chicken breasts and it was $8 a pound. Google "organic chicken price" sometime, you will see a lot of it is around that or more. I have found 3 - 4 lb whole chickens for about $15. I have seen pastured whole chickens (from local farmers) selling for around $12 - 14 or so. Pastured organic is way out of my price range, if I can find it at all. Here is a link to someone selling pastured poultry that has a pricing list http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/pastured_chicken.htm there are many others like it that revealed themselves during a google search. For me, I just want to have the best chicken on my table without going broke trying to do it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom