pasty butt. (poop stuck to the butt)

mkearsley

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
South-west Idaho
My new silkies all have pasty butt. The place i buy them from uses scratch to help, but i don't have any & i want tho get it cleared up before i lose them. Can i feed them flax seed? Would it help? It's there anything else that might clear it up? They are 4 daysold

try some chick grit also you can use warm water on wash rag to try to get some off . I had a chick with pasty butt that is what I did soon the chick got over it .

It is still bird grit not much difference ,
it is to help them digest their food properly
I say if that is what you have at the moment use it . when they get older and you let them on the ground the little pebbles and stuff will naturally help .

Warm water not hot and a paper towel will clean them up just fine just allow for a little soak time. Also I've had good luck with adding a little apple cider vinegar to their water, It's always clear up pasty butt for me

Make sure you dry the chicks off fully before you put them back. If the vent area is exposed by the wetting down of feathers/fluff, the other chicks will peck at it and cause damage. A quick blow-dry with a hair dryer will do the trick!

Add a splash of ACV to the water. They don't need grit if they are on crumble. I run the tap warm and just wash the butt down , gently loosening the poop. Towel dry and apply a little olive oil. The oil helps to prevent the poop sticking to the feathers.

If you trim the feathers around the vent a little, it will keep further droppings from getting stuck. I did this after washing did NOTHING to help. The oil also helps, but trimming with nail scissors seems to have done the most good.

Back
Top Bottom