Pasty Butt Problems

Pete fernBonnie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
I have a 4 week old chick with pasty butt, she is smaller than our other chicks but gets to water and food fine. So when i brought her home she had major pasty butt, her whole bottom half was messed up, I dipped her in some warm water, got all the poop off and put some petroleum jelly on it and i thought that would be the end of it. But almost once every single week for the past month i have had her she keeps getting poop stuck to her vent.
he.gif
I do the same procedure every time but it keeps coming back i don't understand, what should i do? Also when i got her all the fuzzy butt feathers were gone, it was weird i have never seen that before. I will be posting pictures as soon as its light outside thanks! Please let me know asap if you have any clue as to what it might be, i am tired
barnie.gif
of repeating the procedure, please help thanks!

Some chicks just have it more than others. One of my chicks right now has the same thing. If the poop is bothering them, they will try to preen and pick it off, and will sometimes pluck a little baby fluff with it. My little chick's bottom is pointing too far south, and the poor thing just dribbles all over her little butt. I constantly have to soak her bottom in warm water and pick it off. Petroleum jelly and neosporin gel work well to lubricate it. I think some just don't grow out of it. I hope this helps.

Thanks and she is a golden comet which are prone to more dieases and sickness so i think that is why thankyou!!

Back
Top Bottom