PCOS, anyone else?

Yep.

It fricken sucks. Developed 3 large cysts while pregnant plus- toxemia- diabetes- edema so bad I could barely close my hands and couldn't wear shoes (lost 40 pounds in a few days after having her- if that gives you an idea how bad the swelling was.)
It took 15 years before finally a doctor said "yep- PCOS" .. Before that was tens of thousands spent to hear "idiopathic". Almost a dozen cysts some up to 3cm on just 1 side. Anyone else have trouble getting diagnosed? Countless blood tests- they kept saying "you're the high end of normal. So you're fine." Better yet- asking if I was of Mediterranean descent. When I told one I'm German & Irish.. she responded with "Are you sure?" If I was any more pale- I'd be a fricken nightlight. None of my 6 sisters have this issue.

Diabetes + PCOS is a hellish combo. Dropped 35 pounds by being obsessive about everything I ate and a lot of exercize.. and the only thing that changed is now my hair is falling out. Hat or carefully done ponytail.

awesome.

Anyone else find they are more sensitive to chemicals/ meds? She gave me a scrip for depression- and just the 10mil starting dose kicked my butt like I had the worst flu ever. It wasn't even the good kind of happy pills!! No liposomas yet (knock on wood).. but I've kept my diabetes under control with diet- until recently.

Did the removal help with the symptoms? I'm at my wits end with this.

Yes, a huge yes, on chemical sensitivity. Let me tell you how fun it is to discover you are severely allergic to Charmin brand toilet paper. ;P I'm slowly cutting out all store-bought cleaners and products and switching over to things like natural fiber clothing. Doing things like cleaning with vinegar, etc has really helped lessen my symptoms.

Same here with all of that!
I pretty much ditched all the chemical cleaners. Vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, Dr. Bronner's are the main ones. (Can't use the citrus Dr. Bronner's- because the dog likes it.) A lot of the stuff I did already because of my sisters. When I was pregnant- the smell of many cleaners and air fresheners would do me in. Charmin= a fluffy roll of hell- same with quilted northern- but Charmin is the worst. The artificial sugar replacers- can't handle them- Stevia makes me dizzy.

With PCOS often comes insulin resistance- do you all test your glucose levels? I've wondered if it's par for the course- the confused signals. Feeling like blood sugar is crazy low- but testing shows it is high. Had to fast the last week- which doing that every now and then actually really helps me reset and stop the hypoglycemia feeling. (And coffee starts packing a wicked punch again- which is a wonderful change from the fatigue.)

So much crap around us are endocrine disruptors. I just worry for my daughter.

The removal definitely helped with the mood swings. I used to have crazy depression issues and that's no longer a problem for me.

And the insulin resistance before I got on the metforming and spironolactone ... wow, was that a problem. I remember weighing 250 lbs, standing in front of the refrigerator with the door open and tears streaming down my face, my stomach hurting because I'd already overeaten, but my body was SCREAMING at me that I was hungry! And not just hungry, but starving! I didn't WANT to eat, but something inside of me was saying "You have to eat, you have to eat, you have to eat." My insulin levels weren't really out of control, though, and I had to listen to doctor after doctor tell me it was all in my head and if I just had enough willpower, I wouldn't weigh so much.

The water retention was awful. I didn't just have cankles, I had a crease that went all the way around the tops of my feet that separated my feet from my calves. My calves are a mass of scar tissue from the stretch marks, I was so swollen all the time.

I got on the metformin and spironolactone, and was able to drop almost 65 lbs just from having those hormones controlled, and the swelling almost disappeared so it didn't hurt like heck every time I tried to walk anywhere. But the removal took care of the emotional side of it. Life on the other side is pretty groovy.

I wonder why it takes so long to get a diagnosis(?)

Yes, the hunger and low blood sugar makes it terribly difficult to try to eat less and lose weight. I have to handle my food/calorie intake carefully when I try to lose weight. It seems so much harder now, with peri-menopause. I am hoping once menopause sets in that things might work different with the PCOS.

Well in part because there is variation from case to case. They also changed the levels to what is "normal".. so many years I was still in the normal range- but now it is considered above normal. With the chemical sensitivity- that elevation is enough to trigger the crappiest symptoms for me bad enough to where I couldn't work anymore.

I can't/won't let myself binge. I totally get the feeling Kyz- it's like primal drive/instinct overload- but it's mixed message- signal confusion- withdrawls... and so overwhelming!! When I cut out processed food- it helped a lot with that (as in I'm snarling more quietly- but still snarling.) Slam water- grab some plain raw veggie or maybe an apple- and make myself lie down for a few until I got a grip and could think again. I hate fasting - hate it- but it's the only thing that stopped that panic.

Kyzmette, ugh, yes on water retention and intense cravings.

Ordered some buckwheat farinetta (bran, not flour or groats). Combined with a low glycemic index diet, it is supposed to help with insulin resistant based PCOS. Hope it does help. I'll report back after trying it for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom