peacock as a indoor pet

That means that I couldn't give it seeds?A few hours ago, ate some worms and love the pap.
My father give it some chicken food when I was at class, I don't know if ate or not...
Thanks

That means that I couldn't give it seeds?A few hours ago, ate some worms and love the pap.
My father give it some chicken food when I was at class, I don't know if ate or not...
Thanks
It should not eat seed or bugs from the yard.

-Kathy

That means i shouldn't give him worms? The worms I find are in under the ground.

Worms can be carriers of blackhead if I am correct. I have let little peachicks eat bugs without a problem, but when it comes to worms I would be more cautious for sure.

Worms can be carriers of blackhead if I am correct. I have let little peachicks eat bugs without a problem, but when it comes to worms I would be more cautious for sure.
You are correct. Earthworms can cause your peafowl to contract blackhead (histomoniasis). If you want to feed it treats, feed it egg.

-Kathy

Or even just taking the medicated chick starter and getting it a little wet seems to be a big treat for peachicks. Even my adult birds love it.

Or even just taking the medicated chick starter and getting it a little wet seems to be a big treat for peachicks. Even my adult birds love it.

X2 My chicks absolutely loved moistened starter, you'd think it was filet mignon! They would trample each other to get at it.

I have chick crumb and I'm sure I read getting it wet can kill the chicks because it allows cosidiosis to develope in the food?

Coccidiosis is a parasitic infection of single celled protozoans. They multiply in the intestines of infected hosts and reproduce by creating oocysts which are passed in the host's droppings. Unless an infected bird passes droppings in the moistened starter, there is no way for the cocci to spontaneously appear. Now if you moistened some starter and let it sit in the pen indefinitely sooner on later a bird will pass droppings in it and the moist starter may act like a petri dish and allow all kinds of things to grow in it, but we never had enough left for it to sit around. Cocci is all around us it is present in the soil and is impossible to get rid of, animals and birds will naturally form a resistance to it as they are exposed and eventually it ceases to cause them problems unless they are debilitated by something else.

Back
Top Bottom