Peacock Lost by USPS

Thanks, Kathy, I'll call our vet about the lice meds!

By the way, since it was mentioned: I don't know much about it, but I have read that DE isn't really good for birds because the particles accumulate in the lungs...

Quote: Too funny! This is how the Corid powder misinformation spread. Someone said the dose was 1/2 teaspoon and not too long after that's what everyone was saying. I ticked off many people when I did the math, lol.

Drop sizes vary... I can make drops as small as .02ml and as big as .2ml.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

By the way, since it was mentioned: I don't know much about it, but I have read that DE isn't really good for birds because the particles accumulate in the lungs...
That and it won't kill lice or mites. Been there, done that - waste of money and not good for your birds.

-Kathy

Pretty sure the lice you see on the head and neck "drink" from the eyes, but don't quote me on that, lol

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html
"Poultry Lice

Poultry lice are tiny, wingless, 6-legged, flat-bodied, insects with
0018_1.jpg

Figure 1. Lice eggs at the base of the feather shaft
broad, round heads. They lay their eggs on the host bird’s feathers, especially near the base of the feather shaft (Figure 1). A female louse will lay 50 to 300 eggs at a time, which she cements to the feather shaft. There are several species of lice that affect poultry, and multiple species can affect a bird at any given time. Some species can be localized on specific locations like the quill lice; or others can be found over most of the body surface like the chicken body lice. The lice found on poultry do not suck blood as the lice found in other species of animals; rather they feed on dry skin scales, feathers, and scabs. However, they will ingest blood extruding from irritated skin. The entire life cycle of the lice occurs on the host bird, primarily in the feathers. Poultry lice are host specific and cannot be transferred to humans.

Fall and winter are the most common times to observe lice infestations. Inspect the ventral region of the bird for live lice crawling on the bird and for nits (lice eggs) as most infestations start in this area of the bird’s body. Eggs are white and commonly appear in bunches on the lower feather shaft. Feathers of infested birds may have a moth-eaten appearance. Due to the feather damage, the bird may have a dull or roughened appearance."

-Kathy

That and it won't kill lice or mites. Been there, done that - waste of money and not good for your birds.

-Kathy

I have read that DE is bad for humans for the same reason. I don't have a lot of time to look, but I did find one link. http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/degen.html

I have no idea if they are referring to food grade or not, but I know that we put down food grade DE when our foster bottle kitten brought fleas into our house. (It didn't do a darn thing for the fleas either.) My eyes and throat hurt horribly.

Back
Top Bottom