Peacock Lost by USPS

Hannah15

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2014
The USPS lost my charcoal peacock. I have spent most of the day on the phone with various people, repeatedly hearing lies that someone would call me back within a specified amount of time. There is a case open, but no one called me back and when I tried calling back this last time, I found out that they closed their customer service down at 6:00pm. If he isn't delivered till Monday, he will likely be dead. Has anyone had this happen and found a 24 hour "backdoor" number? I have got to find this bird! Thanks.

All I can say is that really stinks, I would be ready to let them have it. If they kill your bird, perhaps the humane society or a local newspaper would like to hear this story of negligence and cruelty. As for the shipped eggs that got abused, if there is another PO nearby perhaps those breeders could try that, I often ship eggs from my post office and the one in the next town over, depends which is more convenient, as I always deliver to the PO as opposed to letting the carrier pick them up. In PA we are known for our "Splendid Roadways"
th.gif
, full of potholes, sinkholes and trenches.... so I don't want them bouncing the day away as my carrier finishes her route! I will keep my fingers crossed for your bird, they can survive a lot. My older IB was a neglect case, caught in the middle of a divorce the wife moved out so the husband quit feeding and watering "Her" birds, when we got there they were trying to catch flies to eat and their water dish was bone dry for who knows how long. Brought the pea and some golden pheasants home just to get them out of there.

Last edited:
I wanted to update this quick. I was not able to get him last night, but I did get him right away this morning. He is still up and quite strong, but he is quite stressed (not surprising), but he is too stressed to eat or drink at this moment. For this reason, I did go ahead and give him subcutaneous fluids. My vet is stopping by after lunch as well, so that I don't have to stress him again by taking him in. This is the pretty boy in his hospital crate.

Totally said Food grade, you can eat it your animals can eat it, there are lots of uses ,you should Read Up

For heaven's sake, I can't respond to everyone that addressed me. But I will make a couple comments. First, in regard to DE I said I wasn't sure if that article was about food grade or not. However, there is a difference between eating something and inhaling something. I DID say that what I used in my house was food grade and it BURNED my throat and eyes.

Yoda, I DID speak to my vet about frontline. It is an off label use obviously, and he didn't know much about it. It was immaterial because it was used on him two weeks ago, so I won't risk overdosing him. At least one of the links you posted ONLY referenced permethrins as a treatment. That is what I have used, and it is the primary ingredient in the Vectra 3D. With that said, I DID speak with my vet about ivermectin, and he and two separate vet manuals said that it does not have a good efficacy on biting lice. Sucking lice, sure. But not biting lice. I'm glad it worked for your bird, but I wouldn't use it on him at this point anyway, because he just received Safeguard.

Also, yes, there is a spray frontline. It isn't as commonly traded because it isn't as easy to use. But I had a bottle at work, so I do know it exists.

I really do appreciate the help. Thank you for all of the responses.

Last edited:
Efficacy of ivermectin

On livestock ivermectin is effective against the major parasitic roundworms... It is also effective against most mites and lice species usually regardless of the delivery form.

However, at the usual therapeutic dose, ivermectin products are ineffective against tapeworms and flukes, fleas, mosquitoes, horse and deer flies and stable flies and several other flying insects.

On poultry, ivermectin at the therapeutic dose is also ineffective against bloodsucking poultry mites such as red poultry mites (Dermanyssus gallinae), northern fowl mites (Ornithonyssus sylviarum), and tropical fowl mites (Ornithonyssus bursa), as well as against soft ticks (e.g. Argas spp, Ornithodorus spp, Otobius spp, etc.).

(http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2449&Itemid=2716)

ordered 8 pied peachicks from strombergs on may 5 , they keep changing the date, first they said they hatched late this year. so they told me the 20 of july, I called on 21 the lady said she would call the breeder and that the tentative date was on the 21 ofthis month, waited all week , no call back or peachicks....wth.... what should I do? wait, get a refund? idk?
idunno.gif

Cancel your order and call Brad Legg in KC area. One of the top breeders in the country with top quality birds. http://leggspeafowl.com/contactleggs.htm

He hadn't been given any worker at that time. And the frontline was applied 2 weeks prior to the reaction. It does resemble an allergic reaction I suppose, but I can't think of anything that had JUST been applied.
a reaction would have happened much faster and if i hasn't already gotten rid of the lice it ain't gonna, justsayen
i would go ahead and treat him with 1cc ivermec split and applied tot the tail area and in between the shoulders.

I am afraid of that. My thought was that since he used the spray, maybe it didn't get to the skin. When I spoke to my vet he said that Ivermectin wouldn't work on biting lice very well, just sucking lice. I did spray him with permethrin and put Sevin dust in his bedding. Do you think I should treat with ivermectin too?
I would wait and see how good the dust works, make him a dusting area with peat moss,wood ashed if ya can and a bit of clean sand, this will help him remove them naturally, you can add a bit of seven dust to the mixture also won't hurt him, most likely the pen he was kept in had no fresh dusting area with the mites being on hi like they are.
He will think he is heaven
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom