Peacock Lost by USPS

I am afraid of that. My thought was that since he used the spray, maybe it didn't get to the skin. When I spoke to my vet he said that Ivermectin wouldn't work on biting lice very well, just sucking lice. I did spray him with permethrin and put Sevin dust in his bedding. Do you think I should treat with ivermectin too?
I would wait and see how good the dust works, make him a dusting area with peat moss,wood ashed if ya can and a bit of clean sand, this will help him remove them naturally, you can add a bit of seven dust to the mixture also won't hurt him, most likely the pen he was kept in had no fresh dusting area with the mites being on hi like they are.
He will think he is heaven
celebrate.gif

Quote: If you give him the right amount, ie: not too much, it won't hurt him, but it won't kill the lice. I know many here will say that it does work for lice, but all of my experiments show that it doesn't. If you decide to use ivermectin the doses are:

• 1% injectable - oral or injected dose is .2mg/kg, which is .02ml/kg (.02ml per 2.2 pounds)
  • .05% pour on - topically the dose is .5mg/kg, which is .1ml/kg (.1ml per 2.2 pounds)

Most people give too much, which is probably fine for a healthy animal. Double check with your vet on the amounts above before giving it.

Just found this:
http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2449&Itemid=2716
"On poultry, ivermectin at the therapeutic dose is also ineffective against bloodsucking poultry mites such as red poultry mites (Dermanyssus gallinae), northern fowl mites (Ornithonyssus sylviarum), and tropical fowl mites (Ornithonyssus bursa), as well as against soft ticks (e.g. Argas spp, Ornithodorus spp, Otobius spp, etc.)"

Note that the above says :at the therapeutic levels", which I believe are the doses I wrote above.

-Kathy

OK, so Kathy, if you do not believe that it works on LICE, and the research says it does not work on MITES, what do you do?
I have no idea how credible that source is, so take it for what it is, just another www page, lol. However, I have done the experiments with more than the "therapeutic dose" and it does not work on poultry lice. Doesn't matter if it's given orally, topically or injected.

I dust mine with poultry dust. There is also something that the vet put on P-Dawg that worked, but I can't remember what it was. He had lice on his face, the vet put that stuff, whatever it was, and the next day the lice where gone. Been meaning to call and ask what it was.

So far my only trouble with mites has been with the chickens, so they get dusted and their coops get sprayed.

-Kathy

There is also something that the vet put on P-Dawg that worked, but I can't remember what it was. He had lice on his face, the vet put that stuff, whatever it was, and the next day the lice where gone. Been meaning to call and ask what it was.

-Kathy
Please let us know when you find out! Peggy has a face-lice problem and poultry dust didn't seem to help. Although I was afraid to put a lot of dust on his face - didn't want him to inhale it...

Please let us know when you find out! Peggy has a face-lice problem and poultry dust didn't seem to help. Although I was afraid to put a lot of dust on his face - didn't want him to inhale it...

Agreed!! I would love to know what it was. I saw the lice on his upper neck, so I am afraid to put anything too close to his eyes and nostrils. I tried to spray him up there without getting it in his eyes, but I'm not sure how well I got him sprayed. I know the seller is worried about stress at this point, and I am too. I would love to be able to put something on him ONCE and not have to keep stressing him. That was why I went with the spray and the Sevin dust in his bedding, it meant I didn't have to handle him again.

No, that was not what I meant. Hannas vet told her that it would not work on biting lice very well, just sucking lice. My question is what is the difference when a sucking lice has to bite first.

I didn't ask, but my guess is that the sucking lice ingest more of the poison than the biting lice. Particularly because the biting lice apparently spend a great deal of their time eating feather shafts. Don't quote me on that, but that is my assumption.

Back
Top Bottom