USPS Shipping

I think we need a dependable US Postal Service. I'm glad to hear that someone has success with the USPS for their business. I have never bought chicks through the mail. I always get mine at the local Co-Op the day the hatchery truck delivers the day old chicks.

I have a few bones to pick with the USPS. I live out in the country, and it is not uncommon for me to see other people's mail in my mailbox from time to time. I just put the mail back into the mailbox and lift the flag for the carrier to pick it up the next day. I hope that my neighbors would do the same.

However, I have ordered packages from Amazon and a few get sent via USPS. The tracking service by the USPS is not very good where I live. I have had some packages reported as delivered, but I never see them. I have had some packages delivered but the USPS tracking lost track of them in their system. I cannot remember a time with tracking problems with UPS or FedEx, in comparison. IMHO, USPS needs to improve their tracking system to get to the level of UPS and FedEx.
As a fellow rural resident, I agree with everything you say here. There are days and sometimes WEEKS we get no mail. And UPS and FedEx do fine as long as there is no really bad weather. Drives me crazy. I always worry about the folks who rely on the USPS for meds and paychecks.

I understand the frustration... but I have to say, our USPS out in the country is fabulous for one reason...well, one guy. Larry the mailman.

We had one steady mailperson a number of years ago, and she was great. She must have retired. Anyways, now we get new carriers every few months. I really don't have any clue who delivers our mail anymore. Glad to hear you have a good mailman. It makes a difference.

BTW, I'm not down on the USPS. I just don't have much confidence in their package tracking system.

I always worry about the folks who rely on the USPS for meds

Yep, as a veteran, I get my VA meds via USPS. So far, nothing has been lost. The VA suggests we refill our prescriptions at least 15 days in advance in case there are delays either at the VA or in the postal service. I can live with that.

So, all I'm saying is, in the countryside you have a chance of finding a Larry.
Try striking up some conversation with your postal workers when you have the chance, especially the older career employees.

Indeed.

I got my chicks promptly this spring despite a computer glitch printing the wrong phone number on my box because my SIL is the chatty sort and had given her phone number to the carrier (along with the story of everyone's life, I'm sure).

Thus the carrier recognized the address and called my SIL.

I must also say that the sorter who said, "So-and-so, isn't this your route? No one's answering the phone," should also be commended.

Now I'd have called them if I hadn't heard about my chicks by noon on the day they were expected, but they went above and beyond for me.

Back
Top Bottom