Peacock Lost by USPS

Some people are just lucky I guess. I have a friend I have known for forty years who is kind of an earthy guy if you know what I mean... looks like a mountain man displaced on the plains. He has been keeping fowl for as long as I have known him and he does not do any meds in his birds. He raises hundreds of pigeons every year, keeps a flock of about fifty BCM, half dozen peas, three pair of trumpeter and muted swans. One pair of white eye peas from Brad Legg he has had for seven years. Everything but the swans free range, they live in his backyard which is still big enough to have to mow the grass.

According to him he has the co-op add DE in his feed when they make up his 'special' blend. He says even his dogs eat it and no one gets worms, yes he doesn't worm his dogs either.
idunno.gif
He loves his animals and I have never seen any sickness in any of his birds, but how can someone, anyone, be so lucky?

BTW, he has had the same pair of trumpeter swans for 19 years, he had a trio but a coyote got one hen. So the buildup of DE in the system sounds a little off to me. All this just makes me scratch my head and wonder why.

Totally said Food grade, you can eat it your animals can eat it, there are lots of uses ,you should Read Up

For heaven's sake, I can't respond to everyone that addressed me. But I will make a couple comments. First, in regard to DE I said I wasn't sure if that article was about food grade or not. However, there is a difference between eating something and inhaling something. I DID say that what I used in my house was food grade and it BURNED my throat and eyes.

Yoda, I DID speak to my vet about frontline. It is an off label use obviously, and he didn't know much about it. It was immaterial because it was used on him two weeks ago, so I won't risk overdosing him. At least one of the links you posted ONLY referenced permethrins as a treatment. That is what I have used, and it is the primary ingredient in the Vectra 3D. With that said, I DID speak with my vet about ivermectin, and he and two separate vet manuals said that it does not have a good efficacy on biting lice. Sucking lice, sure. But not biting lice. I'm glad it worked for your bird, but I wouldn't use it on him at this point anyway, because he just received Safeguard.

Also, yes, there is a spray frontline. It isn't as commonly traded because it isn't as easy to use. But I had a bottle at work, so I do know it exists.

I really do appreciate the help. Thank you for all of the responses.

Last edited:
@Hannah15 , I am so sorry about all that and I should have seen it coming. Shame on me for letting it get to me. I checked with some people on the Nor Cal thread and they use Frontline spray and say that it's effective, and some also use ivermectin. I'm not a vet, so don't know what drug interactions there are between Frontline and other drugs like pour-on ivermectin, Vectra 3d, poultry dust etc. Hopefully your vet will provide some guidance.

Again, very sorry,
Kathy

Totally said Food grade, you can eat it your animals can eat it, there are lots of uses ,you should Read Up
I have "read-up", but before I did I bought a huge bag of it (many years ago). I put it *everywhere*, including on the birds and it did *nothing* for the lice they had. I have also seen articles done by vets that say it is a lung irritant and shouldn't be used. IMO it was a waste of money and a health hazard.

-Kathy

I wasn't impressed with it DE, i did some test with DE like putting fleas,flies and some hive beetles in it and it did not kill them, someone told my DH that sulfur sprinkled on the lawn would get rid of fleas, i have sulfur here so i ground some up put it in a jar with some fleas and a week later the fleas were still hopping around so for whatever reason these things do not work on my bugs.

Back
Top Bottom