Peacock Lost by USPS

No need to, it is just the way forums work, sometimes they take off on a life of their own and other times when you desperately need help no one will respond.  Don't take everything in this thread personally, much of it is just open discussion.  :oops:

I do understand that. I just felt that a couple people were taking words out of my mouth, which I didn't really appreciate. For that reason I wanted to clear some things up and mostly I was worried I was forgetting posts because I am trying to do this on a phone. ;)

That is why i can stand a phone for surfing the net, can't see a whole page just bits of it and much can be missed i do not know why people like this.. made me batty
hide.gif

When we get into a discussion sometimes it takes a turn as stated above , so please remember this before you jump the gun
hugs.gif

We are all here to help each other not make a fuss
wink.png

I grow yummy cucumbers
big_smile.png

OMG! That looks good! What all is in it besides the cucumbers and onions?
droolin.gif
And how do you keep the peas and guineas out of the garden?
I just plant enough for all of us
lau.gif
But all kidding aside i grow my cucumbers on a fence so if they eat anything it is the lower ones , but there is so much to forage for they rarely touch the garden.

I made cages to keep all birds away from my tomato's worked great till the rains kept coming and killed everything but the peas and okra but i got a freezer full so no worries.

I use cider vinegar,sugar, cloves , garlic and some pickling spice, do my beets the same way after i cook them a bit and they are to die for
droolin.gif

Last edited:
@Hannah15 , I am so sorry about all that and I should have seen it coming. Shame on me for letting it get to me. I checked with some people on the Nor Cal thread and they use Frontline spray and say that it's effective, and some also use ivermectin. I'm not a vet, so don't know what drug interactions there are between Frontline and other drugs like pour-on ivermectin, Vectra 3d, poultry dust etc. Hopefully your vet will provide some guidance.

Again, very sorry,
Kathy
OH PLEASE!

Here is what Ivermectin is:
What are MACROCYCLIC LACTONES, also called ENDECTOCIDES?

Ivermectina.jpg
Macrocyclic lactones
are a group of complex compounds with high parasiticidal efficacy that are either natural products produced by various soil microorganisms of the genusStreptomyces, or chemically modified derivatives of such natural products.
They are obtained in fermentation processes using Streptomyces and subsequent purification and/or chemical modification of the fermentation products. According to their chemical structure there are two different groups: avermectins and milbemycins.
They are also called endectocides because they show high efficacy against a broad spectrum of both endoparasites (e.g. gastrointestinal oundworms = nematodes) and ectoparasites (e.g.mites, lice, several insect larvae, etc.).
Ivermectin, the first macrocyclic lactone introduced for Animal Health in 1981 revolutionized the control of veterinary parasites in livestock and pets. It was a huge progress for the control of many parasites. Today it is undoubtedly the active ingredient most used on livestock worldwide, with thousands of generic brands.
All macrocyclic lactones have a systemic mode of action, i.e., after injection, ingestion or topical administration they get into the blood stream of the host, from where they are transported "everywhere" in its organism to kill the parasites. Topically applied endectocides can also act on the external parasites by contact.
Interestingly, whereas most veterinary antiparasitics are spin-offs of agricultural pesticides or human medicines, macrocyclic lactones were first introduced for veterinary use and only later for agriculture and for human medicine.
All macrycyclic lactones have lost patent protection long ago and most of them are available as generics manufactured by numerous chemical companies (typically in China, India, Israel, Brazil, etc.).

Efficacy of ivermectin

On livestock ivermectin is effective against the major parasitic roundworms... It is also effective against most mites and lice species usually regardless of the delivery form.

However, at the usual therapeutic dose, ivermectin products are ineffective against tapeworms and flukes, fleas, mosquitoes, horse and deer flies and stable flies and several other flying insects.

On poultry, ivermectin at the therapeutic dose is also ineffective against bloodsucking poultry mites such as red poultry mites (Dermanyssus gallinae), northern fowl mites (Ornithonyssus sylviarum), and tropical fowl mites (Ornithonyssus bursa), as well as against soft ticks (e.g. Argas spp, Ornithodorus spp, Otobius spp, etc.).

(http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2449&Itemid=2716)

Efficacy of ivermectin

[COLOR=0000CD]On livestock[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]ivermectin is effective against the major parasitic roundworms... It is also effective against most mites and lice species usually regardless of the delivery form.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]However, a[COLOR=333333]t the usual therapeutic dose, ivermectin products are [COLOR=FF0000]ineffective[/COLOR] against tapeworms and flukes, fleas, mosquitoes, horse and deer flies and stable flies and several other flying insects.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]On poultry[/COLOR][COLOR=333333][COLOR=333333], ivermectin at the therapeutic dose is also [COLOR=FF0000]ineffective against bloodsucking poultry mites such as red poultry mites (Dermanyssus gallinae), northern fowl mites (Ornithonyssus sylviarum), and tropical fowl mites (Ornithonyssus bursa), as well as against soft ticks (e.g. Argas spp, Ornithodorus spp, Otobius spp, etc.).[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

(http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2449&Itemid=2716)

Studies also show that it's ineffective as a wormer in poultry. On the iPad now, but will post those links later.

-Kathy

I do understand that. I just felt that a couple people were taking words out of my mouth, which I didn't really appreciate. For that reason I wanted to clear some things up and mostly I was worried I was forgetting posts because I am trying to do this on a phone.
wink.png
Hannah I do NOT want you to think I was attacking you at all. I just posted about using Frontline and Kathy stated your Vet told you to so I gave her the post numbers that you mentioned frontline in. I have been where you are. I had a bird arrive with lice and mites. I did ask the late Deerman what to do. He told me to apply Ivermectin and I did. My problem was solved. I did call my bird Vet cause I have an eye issue with a peacock who was fighting and now has a hole in his eye. I asked her about Ivermectin on poultry and she said she will explain when I see her. According to my notes from Deerman he explained to me how the lice attack the bird and said the most common lice is body lice and they will chew and bite until they draw blood. Then there is the head lice which basically do the same and Ivermectin will kill them esp when they get blood. He told me that Ivermectin will not kill feather lice. My cousin's friend raises pigeons and he uses cat flea powder safe for kittens on his birds to kill feather lice. I know peafowl are not cheap, they cost a lot of money and I don't want to lose any of mine but I did. I had high school kids come onto my property and open my shed door and toss in rat poison. I lost my charcoal peacock and his almost 3 year old son and my pair of emus and lots of chickens. Not a nice thing to find a bird dead in the pen. I am a firm believer in grace periods. That is why I posted the links from the 2 studies from the colleges. They both highlighted about reading the warnings and following the manufacturer's labeling. At the end of this post I will add my charcoal pics (swollen and 7 days later) who had a reaction to a bee sting and you will see yours and mine had the exact same reaction. I do believe that your bird was treated just before shipping by the seller and not 2 weeks before. I also believe that while you were at work your bird started preening himself and got the dried residue of the frontline or whatever was sprayed onto the bird and had a reaction. The bird then tried to get out of the cage because he was having the reaction and scraped his face on the cage wire trying to do so. I know what the scraps from trying to escape from the cage look like cause I use the same cage. To stop the birds from scraping and cutting themselves I zip tied plastic chicken wire around the cage as well. I will also post a picture of my cage. I cannot tell you what to use on your birds, just suggest what works for me. Next time you get him in your hands look at the area you mention that you seen the lice on, think it was the neck and look for scabs. If there are scabs then I was right
wink.png
But please do not think I was doing anything but trying to help. If you reread my original post you will see that is all I was doing.

Wanted to add a link for you I just found in the "Learning Center" here on backyard chickens about lice and mites https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mites-lice-treatment-and-prevention

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom