Peafowl 201: Further Genetics- Colors, Patterns, and More

Pics
I've been studying chicken color genetics and find sometimes it's easier to understand the combinations when there are letters to symbolize the colors, such as S/S is homozygous silver, ig/ig is recessive cream colored, I/i is heterozygous dominant white, etc. But I haven't been able to find these designations with peafowl colors. Do they exist? Is there a database online of how the colors are represented like this?

I've been studying chicken color genetics and find sometimes it's easier to understand the combinations when there are letters to symbolize the colors, such as S/S is homozygous silver, ig/ig is recessive cream colored, I/i is heterozygous dominant white, etc. But I haven't been able to find these designations with peafowl colors. Do they exist? Is there a database online of how the colors are represented like this?

Usually we just say the color/pattern.If so I don't think they will use a single letter because Pied, Purple, and Peach start with P. White and White Eye both have W. I use initials or the first to letters.

[COLOR=333333]White Eye = We[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]IB bs = IB split  black shoulder [/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]etc .... etc ...[/COLOR]

This is what I was looking for. Thank you. :) Are there designations for purple, cameo, peach, etc? Maybe pu, ca, and puca respectively? And charcoal and midnight? Are they their own recessive color genes or a combination of several? Is IB always dominant over other colors?

This is what I was looking for. Thank you.
smile.png
Are there designations for purple, cameo, peach, etc? Maybe pu, ca, and puca respectively? And charcoal and midnight? Are they their own recessive color genes or a combination of several? Is IB always dominant over other colors?
Indian Blue, wild pattern is dominant since it's original. White and Pied gene is co-dominant. You can see if they're split to White or Pied, that's how you know it's co-dominant. Sometimes with the peacock you can see if they're split to Black Shoulder, but not on the peahen. For initials I use
B=Blue
BS=Black Shoulder
W=White
PI=Pied
SP=Silver Pied
WE=White Eye
M=Midnight
CA=Cameo
PE=Peach
CH=Charcoal
BR=Bronze
O=Opal
PU=Purple
T=Taupe
V=Violeta
PMM= Pavo muticus muticus
PMI= Pavo muticus imperator
PMS= Pavo muticus specifir

Can't use all of these for genetics though since not all are dominant. Silver Pied is a combination between the White gene, Pied gene, and White Eye gene. I just use this for an abbreviation Also Purple, Peach, Violeta, and Cameo are all sex link. Sex chromosomes in avians is ZZ=male and ZW=female. If you wanted to you can keep it between Bb, W, PI if you really wanted to. You just have to specify that B=Blue, b= any color or pattern mutation, so specify which gene it's suppose to be, W=White, and PI=Pied.

For chicken colors, there are standard letters & symbols used as a common language for breeders. I certainly can make up letters as needed, but thought there might be a standard list somewhere. I'd rather use the correct and accepted symbols if they exist. Thank you for the info Birdbrain about what you use, it is very helpful.

I'll never get the genetics clear in my head on peafowl. I was all excited. Have a Cameo peahen in with Silver Pied but not keeping tract of what pen the eggs are coming from so had no idea if her eggs were hatching and what they may look like. Finally saw her lay one, marked it and it hatched earlier today. It looks like an India Blue. I was envisioning some gorgeous different looking little creature to break out, LOL!!! Will it grow up looking like an India Blue but if a male perhaps have white eyes? I'm loving the Silver Pied. Patterns on each one is different. Wish I could keep them all until they grow out. Have 2 that were spoke for but never picked up. I'm seeing green on their backs. Going to try to keep them for awhile. I think they're going to have more dark train feathers then my 2 grown one have. LOL, can't keep any more males....had 7 calling this breeding season....was way to much noise.

Whenever I am trying get to explain colors to people I use India blue as an example of a default. Most times you need 2 copies of those gorgeous colors to get them. If only one parent has that different color then offspring will default back to India blue. The sex linked are the obvious exceptions, but it must be a male carrying the color in order to pass it to his daughters. If it is the hen you simply end up with India blues carrying recessive color genes and not showing them

Back
Top Bottom