Peafowl 201: Further Genetics- Colors, Patterns, and More

Pics
My brain feels like soup trying to absorb all I've read, LOL!!! I'm with the person making the comment 'easier to buy', haha!!

Any suggestion for a female hatched this year from a Cameo hen and Silver Pied male that looks mostly IB? She's darker in color then IB hens with a lot less beige on her chest. She hatched with a couple high percentage Green's and is almost as dark as they are. I'm sure there were more but didn't keep tract of the eggs in the incubator so were sold. Sure wish she had been a male.

What can I breed her with to get an attractive male offspring? I have IB Pied, White, Silver Pied and high percentage Green males.

Thanks!!

I started that project last year breeding a Purple BS with Cameo hens. I saved one IB split to for future breeding, he will be two-years-old next year. I have both Purple and Purple BS hens I could pair him with or even Cameo hens, Which would work better in shooting for Peach offspring?

Your IB split to Purple, Cameo, and BS should give a few Peach daughters -- maybe only a 10% chance, but still possible -- regardless of the color of the hens you put with him. You won't get any Peach sons, however, without having a Peach female to put with him. Putting him with your Purple, Purple BS, and Cameo hens will mean you'll get some sons as well as daughters in Purple and Peach, and some with the BS markings from your Purple BS hen, so I'd go for that. Any sons looking IB will be split to the color of their mothers.

:)

Your IB split to Purple, Cameo, and BS should give a few Peach daughters -- maybe only a 10% chance, but still possible -- regardless of the color of the hens you put with him. You won't get any Peach sons, however, without having a Peach female to put with him. Putting him with your Purple, Purple BS, and Cameo hens will mean you'll get some sons as well as daughters in Purple and Peach, and some with the BS markings from your Purple BS hen, so I'd go for that. Any sons looking IB will be split to the color of their mothers.

:)

The Purple BS peahen I would be pairing it to would be from the same father, probably a different mother. Thanks for your knowledge!

What exactly does the cameo lethal gene do? Is it like a dead in shell, or blindness, or the chicks just crash after a couple months? And how do u know if it's the lethal gene responsible for a bird's demise?

The Cameo lethal gene is a gene that tends follow Cameos. The result is they have a shortened life span. Similar to Charcoals. The Cameo gene and Lethal gene are separate genes fortunately. It was just a gene that showed up do to line breeding. Not all Cameos have the lethal gene. Only flocks that have the lethal gene. Since they're separate genes it can be found in other peafowl if they were bred with the Cameos that carried it.

I wonder if that is why none of the CameoXPeach chicks lived this year for me.
My Cameo peacock and Peach hen are at least 7 years old and both are doing well themselves. I do not know if they are in any way related because the breeder has passed away and his best friend that gave me the pair has no idea what they were hatched from. He just knew they had traits they were going to be put down from but "saved" them instead. It doesn't affect their health any.
This is the first year the Peach hen has laid so well and I hatched about 5 or 6 chicks from the pair but none lived past a week old. I really have no desire to raise this coloring of peafowl so they will remain pets here for the remainder of their lives.

Ugh @WestKnollAmy How sad to lose all the chicks from that pair. But that pair is very lucky to have found you for sure!! I talked to someone who had peach chicks from a couple different lines all with leg issues. It's such a bummer that the funky colors come with self destruct genes.
1f615.png

Last edited:
Also sorry for your loss.

May I suggest that anytime any of you have more than one of something die that you send it off for a necropsy?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom