Peafowl 201: Further Genetics- Colors, Patterns, and More

Can you hatch a Indian Blue Pied Peachick by having a Indian Blue Peacock with a white Peahen or a White Peacock with a Indian Blue Peahen.

Can you hatch a Indian Blue Pied Peachick by having a Indian Blue Peacock with a white Peahen or a White Peacock with a Indian Blue Peahen.
If those are the only genetics at play (ie, if you have a blue bird with no hidden genetics like split pied) and a white pea of the opposite genter with no added genetics (ie: a white bird from strictly blue parents with no hidden genetics like split pied), then no. The white and pied genes, while both related to leucism, are different. You won't get a partially white colored bird, you would get blue split white (ie, a blue bird carrying white genetics) with that pairing.

If those are the only genetics at play (ie, if you have a blue bird with no hidden genetics like split pied) and a white pea of the opposite genter with no added genetics (ie: a white bird from strictly blue parents with no hidden genetics like split pied), then no. The white and pied genes, while both related to leucism, are different. You won't get a partially white colored bird, you would get blue split white (ie, a blue bird carrying white genetics) with that pairing.

X2 on Kedreeva's answer, however a split to white bird usually has some white feathers showing, and many people mistakenly consider this a pied bird.....so there can be a lot of confusion about this.

Short answer: No
You need a pied or a dark pied (a bird split to pied meaning it carries the pied gene) to get pied offspring.

It doesn't make a difference which gender is which variety. A male India Blue & a female white or a female India Blue and a male white will still get you the same breeding results.

Breeding Dark Pied to White All Pied Peachicks
Breeding Pied to White Pied Peachicks & White Peachicks
Breeding Pied to Pied Pied Peachicks, White Peachicks, & Dark Pied Peachicks
Breeding Pied to Dark Pied Pied Peachicks and Dark Pied Peachicks

Here is a peachick split to white or dark pied (I don't know which hen was the mom). Note how some of the flight feathers are white. A pied peachick will have far more white on it.

Have anyone got chicks hatched split white from only one parent being split white? I hatched few chicks this year split white from single parent split white, and wondering if we really need **BOTH** parents to be split white in order to get split white offspring?! I know the other parent could be split white without showing any white feathers, but it happened from two different males, also two of my friends got the same thing, a split white chick from single split white parent, one of them was mating a purple split white hen to a green male and got some chicks with white flight feathers.

If anyone would think his green male is split white, then he could produce the highest percentage white spalding ever LOL, because he looks pure to me.

Have anyone got chicks hatched split white from only one parent being split white? I hatched few chicks this year split white from single parent split white, and wondering if we really need **BOTH** parents to be split white in order to get split white offspring?! I know the other parent could be split white without showing any white feathers, but it happened from two different males, also two of my friends got the same thing, a split white chick from single split white parent, one of them was mating a purple split white hen to a green male and got some chicks with white flight feathers.

I believe it would be perfectly reasonable to get split white chicks from a single split white parent. A split white bird is just a bird with 1 copy of white( if it had 2 copies it would be white). So you have 1 parent with no copies of white and 1 parent with 1 copy of white, I think about 25% of offspring would get the single copy white passed to them from the split white parent, this would give them 1 copy white and make them split white as well.

I believe it would be perfectly reasonable to get split white chicks from a single split white parent. A split white bird is just a bird with 1 copy of white( if it had 2 copies it would be white). So you have 1 parent with no copies of white and 1 parent with 1 copy of white, I think about 25% of offspring would get the single copy white passed to them from the split white parent, this would give them 1 copy white and make them split white as well.
Interesting, if this is the case it would bring many new breeding plans, wondering if it will be the same for birds split pied? Or split for colors?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom