Peafowl for Profit

MrPepers

Songster
Jul 14, 2017
I am very interested in peafowl and was wondering if there was any way to make a profit off them. I know this is a highly unrealistic idea, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I was thinking I could sell adult birds, chicks, hatching eggs, and/or feathers.

I am very interested in peafowl and was wondering if there was any way to make a profit off them. I know this is a highly unrealistic idea, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I was thinking I could sell adult birds, chicks, hatching eggs, and/or feathers.
The best way to ruin a hobby is to make a business of it. That being said, if you can make the birds pay for their upkeep you are doing pretty well. Not many people can do that.

I know its a very unrealistic idea. I was just wondering if anyone had some ideas to make money to help pay for them because they are so expensive.

If you look on ebay and Craigslist you will see that eggs sell for 4/$60-100 and yearling & adults will sell for $100-$200+ depending on age respectively. Chicks go for $10 each at auction here and I see them on CL for $25ish. I personally just enjoy looking mine.

My birds more or less pay for themselves. I don't run a professional operation yet but I'm getting there. If you want to get into rearing them for profit you do have to do some serious investing in both equipment and birds. It also means alot of record keeping. You'll also have to be prepared to artificially incubate or use foster broodies. Peafowl normally only have about a half dozen chicks per season under normal circumstances but if you keep pulling eggs as they're laid you'll get many more. out of my 2 breeding groups (one quad and one trio) I managed to get 40 chicks total with some eggs still incubating. I had to invest in some high end incubators which was a bite to the wallet initially but given my hatching success with both the peas and my pheasants they've already earned that money back.

My birds more or less pay for themselves. I don't run a professional operation yet but I'm getting there. If you want to get into rearing them for profit you do have to do some serious investing in both equipment and birds. It also means alot of record keeping. You'll also have to be prepared to artificially incubate or use foster broodies. Peafowl normally only have about a half dozen chicks per season under normal circumstances but if you keep pulling eggs as they're laid you'll get many more. out of my 2 breeding groups (one quad and one trio) I managed to get 40 chicks total with some eggs still incubating. I had to invest in some high end incubators which was a bite to the wallet initially but given my hatching success with both the peas and my pheasants they've already earned that money back.

Good post Josh. You are learning and learning well. The costs are not just the birds but all the associated equipment, pens, feed, medications, shipping expense, testing, your time, and on and on.

Interesting question. Have my first peafowl eggs under a broody now. So I'm hoping for the best and immersing myself in all that is Peafowl.

I told my sweetheart what peafowl eggs cost...and how much chicks and adults cost...

He definitely looked at me sideways, "Uh, I think you need to be raising Peafowl" LOL.

(Pack your bags chickens!;))

Seriously, I don't know how people have the time or inclination to sort and pack and ship, incubate eggs and chicks and certainly make a living from it - with any fowl!

I like to let the broodies do the heavy lifting, raise to started pullets and sell. If I can get peacocks to do the same. It might make it doable as a hobby (for me that is!)

Hello

I know you are looking for eggs but I need to sell some adults and a couple chicks cheap because I am moving. Would anyone be interested? I am in Ohio. They are Indiana Blues. Nice birds.

I had 9 breeding pens this year and for the past 5 years have been breeding and hatching peafowl. I never make any profit, even when selling as week old chicks. I rarely sell eggs unless picked up. Shipped peafowl eggs are iffy and I prefer the buyer to be happy rather than mad or frustrated. Building an excellent reputation takes a lot more than what profit you will make. Enjoy it and hope that you can sell enough to cover the costs of everything. The happiest and healthiest birds will come from a breeder that enjoys it more than wanting to make a buck because they will take the time to care for the animals rather than cut corners to make money. I have been in the animal industry more than 40 years and seen a lot!

Back
Top Bottom