Peafowl Identification

Here is the barred wings ... on a wild peacock of India ... or on blue domestic peacock.
View attachment 1641861 View attachment 1641862

No big spots of color!
Your is like that :

View attachment 1641863

Your peacock has spots of color on the wings that proves that in these ancestors there was crossing with green peacocks or with spalding. It is like 'pollution' of the genome. Create spalding is interesting if the percentage of green blood ... is high ...! Why, ... because it causes a change in the shape of the bird body ... they have a longer neck, ... longer legs ... and that gives them a more elegant look ... more graceful ... a wild look!
Low percentage of green blood ... so low spaulding ... it brings nothing!

I am not very good at genetics, thus the following question:
If both parents are low spaulding, does that mean all their chicks will have some spaulding as well even if it doesn't show up in their color or pattern?

This peacock is a IB color Bronze with a small defect on the wings that comes from an ancestor Pavo muticus.
The dark patches on shoulders may appear in all colors if the birds are not pure.
Why is it called a bronze when it looks silver? (I told you I had lots of questions. LOL)

As I say, it is difficult to 'wash' these Muticus genes traces ... several generations ... so impossible!
When we give a name color of a mutation we speak first of the neck. The color is in fact English Green ... but it's called Bronze!

bronze 2.jpg

If I sell a peacock which does not have any outward sign of spaulding but whose parents both had small amount of spaulding...is it correct to tell prospective buyers that my peacock has spaulding genes?

Back
Top Bottom