Peafowl Identification

Pardon me for butting in, but this is so fascinating! :caf It never occurred to me that peacocks had breeds, too! Could you point me to a thread/site/? that details more about domesticated peafowl in US-breeds, uses, showing/SOP,......I don't want to raise them, I'm just nosy.

I also found this site with descriptions and images of varieties: http://peacockgirl.tripod.com/Peafowl_Variet/Database_Homex.html
Thoughts?

In peafowl there really aren't breeds just colors and patterns Leggs Peafowl is probably one of the best places online to see pictures of the different types. As of now there are around 200+ recognized varieties but more are popping up all the time. As of now there is also no standard of perfection for peafowl nor showing of them in most cases. It would be difficult to show them because in summer when some shows are taking place that's when peafowl are breeding and in winter they've dropped all their train feathers so they aren't much to look at.

Thanks so much, Dany12. Of course now I have so many more questions! What characteristics tell you that Photo #1 has small level spaulding?
Here is the barred wings ... on a wild peacock of India ... or on blue domestic peacock.
aile paon sauvage 1.jpg
aile paon sauvage.jpg

No big spots of color!
Your is like that :

BIR007-00025-400x266.jpg

Your peacock has spots of color on the wings that proves that in these ancestors there was crossing with green peacocks or with spalding. It is like 'pollution' of the genome. Create spalding is interesting if the percentage of green blood ... is high ...! Why, ... because it causes a change in the shape of the bird body ... they have a longer neck, ... longer legs ... and that gives them a more elegant look ... more graceful ... a wild look!
Low percentage of green blood ... so low spaulding ... it brings nothing!

Here is the barred wings ... on a wild peacock of India ... or on blue domestic peacock.
View attachment 1641861 View attachment 1641862

No big spots of color!
Your is like that :

View attachment 1641863

Your peacock has spots of color on the wings that proves that in these ancestors there was crossing with green peacocks or with spalding. It is like 'pollution' of the genome. Create spalding is interesting if the percentage of green blood ... is high ...! Why, ... because it causes a change in the shape of the bird body ... they have a longer neck, ... longer legs ... and that gives them a more elegant look ... more graceful ... a wild look!
Low percentage of green blood ... so low spaulding ... it brings nothing!

Ohhhhh. So mine are just polluted...uninteresting and ordinary. Ha ha ha. No, really, I do appreciate your knowledge of genetics and breeding...because I know so little. I thank you for explaining. My goal here is to be accurate in description when and if I sell my peafowl and I thank you for your help. Really. And so I suppose I may assume that any chicks I have from my two "low percentage spaulding parents" must have at least some spaulding in them as well???

I use the term 'pollution' because we cann't 'clean' it, but many peacocks are like that ... we just have to accept it!
Most people don't see it.

Last edited:
This peacock is a IB color Bronze with a small defect on the wings that comes from an ancestor Pavo muticus.
The dark patches on shoulders may appear in all colors if the birds are not pure.

Back
Top Bottom