Peafowl Prices

I understand that some folks can't eat what they raise,

I was raised differently, i had all kinds of animals growing up and most of them were for eating or for sale, i had my pets but the only way i could have all different kinds a farm animals is if we got some other use out of them besides looking pretty in the fields, i am glad i was raised the way i was, I was dispatching and dressing out all the rabbits and chickens by myself by the age of 10 and that lesson in life saves us alot of money now and i raise most everything we eat and feed my parents and one of my daughters as well with plenty left over for the birds and dogs.

I would find it very difficult to eat dog even if i was starving to death and it was all there was, i have a special bond with dogs and absolutely love them more than any kind of animal on earth.

Gotta watch my trigger finger,I done shot the dog
lau.gif

Last edited:
I understand that some folks can't eat what they raise,

I was raised differently, i had all kinds of animals growing up and most of them were for eating or for sale, i had my pets but the only way i could have all different kinds a farm animals is if we got some other use out of them besides looking pretty in the fields, i am glad i was raised the way i was, I was dispatching and dressing out all the rabbits and chickens by myself by the age of 10 and that lesson in life saves us alot of money now and i raise most everything we eat and feed my parents and one of my daughters as well with plenty left over for the birds and dogs.

I would find it very difficult to eat dog even if i was starving to death and it was all there was, i have a special bond with dogs and absolutely love them more than any kind of animal on earth.

Gotta watch my trigger finger,I done shot the dog
lau.gif

You have my utmost respect. My husband and I were raised by hunters and farmers respectively and we grew up eating game and farm animals. I think we could both do it if we had to, but as long as we don't have to....we're not going to! We do grow a massive amount of veggies each year and we love home raised produce, as do the birds.
PS.. Didn't anyone ever tell you not to point that thing at people or dogs?
gig.gif

You have my utmost respect. My husband and I were raised by hunters and farmers respectively and we grew up eating game and farm animals. I think we could both do it if we had to, but as long as we don't have to....we're not going to! We do grow a massive amount of veggies each year and we love home raised produce, as do the birds.
PS.. Didn't anyone ever tell you not to point that thing at people or dogs?
gig.gif

Nice mellon how big was it, i grew some 35 pounds last year, shame i don't like watermelon but the rest of the family does .

What kind of soil do you have over there? we got thick clay, have to amend it with lots of stuff to get some things to grow, but if it is weed like it will grow just fine
lau.gif

Nice mellon how big was it, i grew some 35 pounds last year, shame i don't like watermelon but the rest of the family does .

What kind of soil do you have over there? we got thick clay, have to amend it with lots of stuff to get some things to grow, but if it is weed like it will grow just fine
lau.gif

That melon was maybe 35 or 40 lbs. I can't really remember. It is one of the biggest we've grown, but it was a disappointment because it had no flavor.
sad.png

The smaller ones seem to taste better, but the Peas loved it. We have really nice dirt, I think our main garden has been a garden forever, the folks that lived here before us raised horses and they fertilized that garden with horse manure, plus they left us big piles of the stuff all over the property. "Gardeners Gold"! We have used it all making more garden beds and we now till in the Pea manure and wood chips we use in the pens. We have gray clay as well, but you have to dig down a foot to hit it. We also grow some prize winning weeds every year!
thumbsup.gif

I sell ducks and roosters for meat, but I don't process them. Sure ain't gonna do that to my peas, lol.
Just need to figure out how much I can sell them for.

-Kathy

Why do you like the females better than the males? The males are way prettier. I don't have peacocks but they are on my future list.

Great question, IMHO when it comes to peas, the females are what I look for over the males. When it comes to green peas the female will usually cost more. Just like most creatures if you hatch 12 eggs most will be males so the males are pretty easy to find. I also believe that if your birds have any impurities or color issues it will show up in the hens. I always try to look at the hens up close before purchasing as good hens are hard to find.

Gerald Barker

Great question, IMHO when it comes to peas, the females are what I look for over the males. When it comes to green peas the female will usually cost more. Just like most creatures if you hatch 12 eggs most will be males so the males are pretty easy to find. I also believe that if your birds have any impurities or color issues it will show up in the hens. I always try to look at the hens up close before purchasing as good hens are hard to find.

Gerald Barker

If it's a sex link gene the male can be split while the hen is one or the other.

Back
Top Bottom