Peafowl

Hello!

That is strange that they haven’t started laying yet… my neighbor’s hen started at just short of a year!

I’m not sure if this would cause it, but I do know that inbreeding causes many issues, including reproductive and laying problems. Are the parents closely related, possibly siblings or parent and offspring paired? It could also be a result of the food that they eat.

Are you 100% sure that they aren’t laying? Could they have laid in a hidden spot or even been eating the eggs?

3 Peahen no eggs at age 3. I have peacocks to. Why no eggs in three years
You haven't interacted with anyone who has asked you questions in five days so I am not sure if I am wasting my time here.

There are a lot of reasons why they haven't laid, mostly environmental. First are they basic IB or high Spalding? High Spaldings and Greens can take up to four years before they are mature enough to reproduce.

Are they penned? If free range you may have not seen where the hen is hiding her nest.

Is the pen large enough? They need at least 150sq ft of space per mature bird, more if they are Greens.

Are all the birds in the same pen? Multiple cocks will fight and disrupt the harmony in the pen. Both sexes can knock the breeding cock off the hen when mating. Fighting can also lead to broken eggs which will be eaten.

Are you feeding a good high protein feed?

Do they have ample water? Do they run out of water? Do they have calcium available? How closely related are they? Are they being harassed by some outside intruder?

Answer these questions and you might find an answer.

Back
Top Bottom