Peahen will not sit on her eggs

cosmosweaver11

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 8, 2015
I have 2 male and a female that are 3 years old. She laid eggs last year and even though it still quite cold out she has laid more this year. Last year i gave some to a friend and she had success incutating a few. I am just wondering why she lays them scattered and she doesnt go broody. We wait and wait until i just got to get rid of them. Ive even gathered and put in there housing on the straw. I did not mess with them after that. Could it be cause of the weather or does she seriously dont know shes supposed to sit on them. Is there anything i can do to help her know what to do. I know thats a silly question but i know when they were little i had to put chicks with them to help show them to eat and drink. Any suggestion or comments on anyone else having the same issue would great be appreciated.

20190302_165650.jpg

Peahens are very picky about whether or not they will go broody or not. Most of the time they won't unless the pen is very large with lots of hiding places. Most people either incubate the eggs themselves or incubate them under chickens. Saves alot of trouble.

I've got 8 hens and only 2 of them care about brooding, but like @KsKingBee I have wooden drawers that aren't enclosed as nesting boxes, and 1 plastic garden tub that for some reason they Chose (I kept kicking them out of it for a while but they had Chosen it so I had no chance of resistance :rolleyes:). But the majority of the time they just lay wherever they're standing at the time..... I've even come home to a hen squatting up on top of a perch to lay up in the air! (Lucky me, I was fast enough to catch it as it fell! :D)

Maybe if you give them a few similar boxes with bedding, placed in corners (mine love corners), she might feel more comfortable?

I think they also tend to be more likely to be broody as they get a little older. Even though hens CAN lay at 2, that's just so young still compared to their lifespan, they're sexually mature but still basically teenagers or very young adults. Mine didn't start thinking about being broody until they were 4+. She might just need some time!

Back
Top Bottom