Pecking

JDonn127

Songster
Jun 25, 2020
Bucks County Pa
My questions is for anyone who used pinless peeper to deal with pecking. What were the results after the peeper were removed? Did the pecking stop or did it continue? And would they be useful for adding new pullets to a flock if the bullying continues or gets worse? I am only considering this when everything else i try fails

Pinless peepers are only a temporary solution. Need to fix the underlying problem. If you're talking about pecking due to normal integration/pecking order type pecking, let it happen as long as it doesn't get too bloody - they need to figure out their order and then things will calm down. Look-no-touch integration helps minimize the pecking - there's some articles and threads on here about how to do that.

In my case, I used pinless peepers to prevent feather picking. Turned out my flock needed a larger coop/run and to rehome a bully hen. I've gotten them more space, and that has helped, but still need to rehome the bully (after I get another hen to start laying first). In the meantime I might crate the bully and see how that improves things. Couldn't get my bully to wear pinless peepers - she kept tearing them off. After she is rehomed, I'll try the pinless peepers again for a few months on everyone else, and then see if everyone is over the feather picking/bullying.

Just ordered some Pinless Peepers today. Integrating new pullets(Buff Orpington, friendly) to existing flock (Barred Rock not friendly). They've been on a large cage inside the coop for 2 weeks then I opened the door slightly so they could scamper back in if needed. It was needed. They've now been out there for 4 weeks going on 5 and getting pecked pretty good by the low gal on the rung. She's bullied them relentlessly. She's flighty and scared of everything but the pullets. I'll try the No Peck spray first but if it doesn't work I'll put the peepers on.
They have a big coop, 9 girls in a 14'x7' by 10' so it's not that. Plus their run is 30' by 5' turning into 10'. Lots of distractions in the run so I'm just gonna keep trying.
I wonder if I should separate her. I have a large dog crate in the run just in case.

Just ordered some Pinless Peepers today. Integrating new pullets(Buff Orpington, friendly) to existing flock (Barred Rock not friendly). They've been on a large cage inside the coop for 2 weeks then I opened the door slightly so they could scamper back in if needed. It was needed. They've now been out there for 4 weeks going on 5 and getting pecked pretty good by the low gal on the rung. She's bullied them relentlessly. She's flighty and scared of everything but the pullets. I'll try the No Peck spray first but if it doesn't work I'll put the peepers on.
They have a big coop, 9 girls in a 14'x7' by 10' so it's not that. Plus their run is 30' by 5' turning into 10'. Lots of distractions in the run so I'm just gonna keep trying.
I wonder if I should separate her. I have a large dog crate in the run just in case.
Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck figuring things out!

Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck figuring things out!
They ate her. The Barred Rocks cornered one of my teen aged Orpingtons and ruthlessly attacked her and then ate her.
After church this morning I went to the farm to feed the barn cats and collect eggs and check on the chickens. One was missing and there were parts everywhere.
I followed the advice I've read on here to the T. Their Brooder was set up so they could go out and interact but could get back in if there was a problem. They were in the brooder locked up for 3 weeks before I set the door so they could go out but the bigger girls couldn't get in. There were 4 different places in the run I set up so they could escape if needed.
This poor sweet girl didn't stand a chance this time. My guess is she just was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
She was 11 weeks old and I'm devastated. Maybe I let them out too soon? I don't know. Everything seemed to be going along fine until today. She's gone. I separated the other Orpington and Easter egger to the barn away from the coop completely. The are now safe.
I'll be building a new run this week so I'll also build them a small coop in the run and they'll have their own little area to themselves. The Rocks give me lots of eggs but my feelings have changed towards them.
Come next fall I will probably cull all 6 of them and replace them with the Orpingtons. I want a friendlier chicken always did.
I'm so sad over this unnecessary thing that happened and I've learned a hard lesson from it.
Thanks for being here y'all. ♥️😭

They ate her. The Barred Rocks cornered one of my teen aged Orpingtons and ruthlessly attacked her and then ate her.
After church this morning I went to the farm to feed the barn cats and collect eggs and check on the chickens. One was missing and there were parts everywhere.
I followed the advice I've read on here to the T. Their Brooder was set up so they could go out and interact but could get back in if there was a problem. They were in the brooder locked up for 3 weeks before I set the door so they could go out but the bigger girls couldn't get in. There were 4 different places in the run I set up so they could escape if needed.
This poor sweet girl didn't stand a chance this time. My guess is she just was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
She was 11 weeks old and I'm devastated. Maybe I let them out too soon? I don't know. Everything seemed to be going along fine until today. She's gone. I separated the other Orpington and Easter egger to the barn away from the coop completely. The are now safe.
I'll be building a new run this week so I'll also build them a small coop in the run and they'll have their own little area to themselves. The Rocks give me lots of eggs but my feelings have changed towards them.
Come next fall I will probably cull all 6 of them and replace them with the Orpingtons. I want a friendlier chicken always did.
I'm so sad over this unnecessary thing that happened and I've learned a hard lesson from it.
Thanks for being here y'all. ♥️😭
Oh no! That's heartbreaking! I'm so sorry that happened!

It may just have been bullying that went to far. The intent was probably to bully, not to eat, but once chickens see blood, it's like this switch flips in their brain, and they won't stop going after it. If the bloodied chicken can't escape for some reason it can lead to death and cannibalization. She probably was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

If that happened to me, I would definitely sell or cull the barred rocks. Usually there is a ring leader and the others are just going along, but sometimes more than one are the bullies. Chickens definitely learn from each other, and I would be worried about them doing something like this again. Some individual chickens are more aggressive/bullies than others, it may or may not be the breed.

I'm glad your remaining younger chickens are safe. Try not to beat yourself up about it - sometimes things just happen that you can't predict or expect. Sending you supportive thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom