peepers

dmccann

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
darlington pa
My Coop
My Coop
I finally put peepers on because of feather picking,and trying to reintoduce a hen back in to small flock.I am so fed up i give treats,layer food,boss,yougart,oyster shell and on and on!Well 5 days was going ok or so i thought seen some more bare spots,then seen one pulling feathers out right in front of me,well she is now in chicken jail.I have totally lost my mind,as i sit here coverered in purple! Any help? Oh these are all layers 1 year old (10) 2 years old (2).Oh the feather plucking is going on between the ones that have been together,the X broody hides and is still being chased ,this has been with the x broody since Feb!

Last edited:
Be careful using the peepers. I bought some for my 2 easter eggers that were not getting along with our new silkie. After about a week of them being on I noticed they were getting alot of dirt stuck in their nostrils. One of the girls even had one side totally packed with dirt and sand and was making a honking sound trying to breathe out of the other nostril. I took them off and now everyone seems to be getting alond great. The peepers did their job but now I'm alittle afraid to use them again. My chickens are also pretty big on digging and rolling around in the dirt though. They DO work, just keep a close eye out for any chickens that may have problems with them!
smile.png

I will be introducing two sets of two hens together in a month or so. Do you think that peepers would be a good idea to help them establish pecking order without doing as much possible damage to each other?

They look like sunglasses they alow the chicken to look side ways not straight ahead,suppose to stop them from zooming in on others feathers.

I am definitely going slow and by the book (and comments from others) I still just owrry about it not going well and would like to everything I can even though there is only so much I can do. I have it all set up so my tractor will be up against the run so they can spend some good time next to each other without being able to contact each other and will give them all of the time they need and avoid interfering with the pecking order as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom