Pics
OK I have wonderful news :celebrate:celebrate:celebrateI was a bit worried over night as wondered if my oven had some turn itself off after a certain number of hours safety thing :lol:. Got up this morning and it was still on, quick peek no chicks :hitThen about 9am saw that the temp had dipped quite a lot so went over to look and decided to take a peek and there was a little wet chick :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpystupidly didn't see if it had come out of the silkie egg or an Araucana egg. Thank goodness for my fancy oven! Our normal one doesn't go that low!

Next question - bearing in mind that Doris left these eggs and has a 4 (maybe 5 - I didn't take much notice as didn't realise it was a chick until the next day!) day old chick will she accept these babies (I say plural with total hope that I get at least one more!!)? Am I better off doing it at night or in the day so I can keep a watch? Doris is a very kind lovely silkie, she even co-parented the sole chick that was born in my last hatch late last year that wasnt' one of hers (none of hers made it) so my gut says she'll be OK but don't want to put them with her and find them all dead in the morning!

Since I wrote this on the other thread I peeped again - no more chicks but it is an Araucana egg that's hatched!:jumpy

Exciting - what are you getting?

A Black Copper Marans, Leghorn (golden) and Araucana (blue golden without ear tufts). They should be about 4 - 4.5 months old.

Re: your oven's minimum temperature of 30c (so as not to derail your thread)

Wow... so you can dehydrate stuff as well as incubate chicks! That was a good investment!

ETA: Yaay!! @
but it is an Araucana egg that's hatched!:jumpy

A Black Copper Marans, Leghorn (golden) and Araucana (blue golden without ear tufts). They should be about 4 - 4.5 months old.

Re: your oven's minimum temperature of 30c (so as not to derail your thread)

Wow... so you can dehydrate stuff as well as incubate chicks! That was a good investment!

ETA: Yaay!! @
Oh nice group! Do you know I never thought of that - presumably that is why it does it!!!! Will have to try in the summer with my figs and stuff!

Oh nice group! Do you know I never thought of that - presumably that is why it does it!!!! Will have to try in the summer with my figs and stuff!

Ooh, I envy you! We get masses of figs - and all at the same time of course. I ended up freezing two drawers full of them and we use them in smoothies. Would much rather have dehydrated figs.

I still have bags of them frozen from last year (and peaches and plums - didn't do al lthe crumbles I'd planned over the winter!). A nice dish I've discovered to use them up is I dump a bag of figs (maybe 800gms?) in the bottom of the slow cooker with sliced onion (1 large / 2 med), garlic, a splash of balsamic and a stock cube (pepper / chilli ect all good as well - what ever you like)then put a piece of pork on top (if I'm in the mood I'll sometimes brown it first but works either way if you are in a hurry) and cook all day - makes the most delicious pulled pork sauce!

I still have bags of them frozen from last year (and peaches and plums - didn't do al lthe crumbles I'd planned over the winter!). A nice dish I've discovered to use them up is I dump a bag of figs (maybe 800gms?) in the bottom of the slow cooker with sliced onion (1 large / 2 med), garlic, a splash of balsamic and a stock cube (pepper / chilli ect all good as well - what ever you like)then put a piece of pork on top (if I'm in the mood I'll sometimes brown it first but works either way if you are in a hurry) and cook all day - makes the most delicious pulled pork sauce!

That does sound delicious!

Are there any more developments on the egg front?

can you sun dry figs? it is easy.

This was my first idea but I was told it takes some time (several weeks) and there are a few problems:

a/ Finding a suitable sunny area that is raised (because of insects) and not accessible to the dogs (because free buffet!)
b/ Having to bring them in at night (because of dew) - we can't do this consistently as we don't get back until late several days a week

If you have experience and suggestions I'm all ears!

This was my first idea but I was told it takes some time (several weeks) and there are a few problems:

a/ Finding a suitable sunny area that is raised (because of insects) and not accessible to the dogs (because free buffet!)
b/ Having to bring them in at night (because of dew) - we can't do this consistently as we don't get back until late several days a week

If you have experience and suggestions I'm all ears!

I am a learner myself. if I find a way I definitely will share it. I have heard that people in turkey use bed sheets to dry fruits. (they don't use them to sleep, lol.) I am still researching it.

Back
Top Bottom