Pics
Thanks! Been looking for a functional de-wormer. None of the sellers of the poultry feed you linked to ships to my country. I found this product, it's for fish and contains flubendazol. Can I risk using it??? It's for pouring in the water, so the fish would ingest it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NT-Labs-Fl...endazole&qid=1561054279&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-2

Hi,
I don't know if you have a livestock vet you can go to (or a regular vet that can order), but I got Flubenol (meant for pigs) powder. I had to take the full package, but I think it was about €30 and will last a loooong time. Or maybe there is a farmer that you could get it from.

How are all your hatchings going? I managed to pop 5 of my murdered Araucana eggs (not sure what the dad will be though so hopefully some easter eggers although 25% chance it is the Araucana roo) and a few of the dead silkies into my neighbours incubator and now my other silkie has cleverly gone broody. I've just moved her into the broody coop and she has settled back onto some eggs in there. All being well I'll pop the eggs that are in the bator under her tomorrow evening. I actually can't remember when it all happened - gosh just looked and that was 10 days ago so we are half way though already, or less as they seem to only go about 19 days I find for those breeds! Poor Doris may get a shock that they arrive so early bless her!

WOW that is steep! What were they?

Same here the coop only sells hybrid chicks - red, black and if you are lucky a coucou! I do have a garden centre in Mussidan that sells some silkies (adult though not chicks) and the Gamme Vert in Bergerac has a few more varieties of POL hens (from Beaumont I think). Never seen eggs in any of them. I have also bought all my hatchign eggs from lovely local breeders found on LBC :D
How are the hatched chicks doing? The offer of shipping eggs still stands. From Germany it's not that far. There is a young farmer here in Germany that is doing all he can to set himself up with dual-purpose birds and not support hybrids. He now has chicks from all lines of Swedish Isbar and will hopefully offer hatching eggs next year. Maybe this is a breed you would be interested in? He is also testing old german breeds to see what works on his farm.
I lost 2 chicks after hatch last night, leaving me 5 little survivors in total

View attachment 1757102
I'm sorry for the chicks you lost, but congratulations on the 5 healthy chicks! I lost some chicks this year too very early on. But before they grow up to be sickly birds, it is better they pass soon.
Local smallholders have been great for supplying wonderfully healthy "traditional farmyard" chickens - no particular breed but not commercial strains. I generally find them on local Facebook groups. I see signs of what might be Faverolles, Orpington, Sussex and Araucana in those hens (not the ones in my avatar) and they are wonderfully healthy and hardy. Hopefully they will sit on some La Gournay eggs next year (as I have quite a number of hens again now). I'll let you know if we go for it!
How are everyone's hatchings going?
Sometimes, these mixes are the hardiest birds you can get!
Hi! :frow I'm from the illusive and distant northern part of Europe called Norway. Living in snow half the year makes us a little odd, but we're generally sorta nice, if you manage to get us talking. (Pro tip for starting a conversation with a Norwegian: talk about the weather. It tend to be a lengthy topic.)

Living between the ocean and a forest called Sweden, we're sheltered from a lot of diseases and problems. For instance, salmonella is not an issue in small poultry population. We have strict rules for import of animals, so our poultry population is mostly bred within the country (inbreeding, so much inbreeding!). I for one have a dream to import brown Muscovy ducks someday, a color that does not exist here.
Welcome! You know, I have been following a fellow from Norway on Instagram and am in contact with someone in Sweden and their weather almost appears better than Germany's. :lol: I always though I'dlike to move south to warmer weather, but northis looking appealing.
Another Germany member! New to BYC today!
Welcome Papa John! Greetings from the Palatine Forest...
@Honora we love it! Yes the minor small town adjustments [like shops closing sooooo early in the evening!!!] were an adjustment but we are so conveniently located that we can make runs to one of several cities to reach a 'shopping mall' easily. So far all the adjustments have been well worth the reduced stress lifestyle and friendly accepting neighbors. [We are tRump refugees who fled for the safety of our Guatemalan born children, one of whom is transgender.] Helped greatly that my husband is Castleisland born and we had traveled back here on vacations to visit family often enough that the children[well now 18 & 21yo LOL] were mentally prepared for the change in lifestyle.
Kudos to you for making sure your children grow up in a safe and loving environment.
how are peeps in europe these days?

mine are boiling without pot, lol. 33 celsius today,
Germany has been horrible! 28° one day, 14° the next. Just stay hot and nice rain showers every night would be great, thank you. :D

As for us, my faverolles rooster had to go as the hens were starting to hide from him. He wasn't a bad rooster but the ladies' wellbeing is more important. The Hedemora are now 13 weeks old and growing up fast. They are lovely chicks, all pullets.

And, a Faverolles hen actually went broody this year (my first!) And hatched out 3 Faverolles chicks and one more Hedemora. One of the Faverolles passed. It had absorbed it's egg yolk, but internally, it did not absorb any further. At 3 days old, yolk started leaking out of a hole in its stomach (not even the navel). Another chick went missing and it turns out someone's cat brought it home to them alive and they brought it to another chicken keeper. So now I have another Hedemora (pullet) and a Faverolles cockerel. I will have to post some pics later.

How are the hatched chicks doing? The offer of shipping eggs still stands. From Germany it's not that far.
Hi Ana - thanks for thinking of me! All my new chicken plans are on hold at the moment - been having a bit of a rough time with them with too many roosters which I got sorted and now a bad red mite infestation! I have a new job which is taking lots of time so it is all just a bit much so I'm going to regroup, not grow my flock (too much!) until I get everything a bit more sorted! The 6 chicks are doing so well running around with Doris the mama silkie still - not sure what I've got yet though!

So lovely to see so many new faces on the thread - welcome all!

Better go work before it is too hot to think - going to be over 40c this afternoon - and it was only about 2 weeks ago it was max of 14c!

Hi Ana - thanks for thinking of me! All my new chicken plans are on hold at the moment - been having a bit of a rough time with them with too many roosters which I got sorted and now a bad red mite infestation! I have a new job which is taking lots of time so it is all just a bit much so I'm going to regroup, not grow my flock (too much!) until I get everything a bit more sorted! The 6 chicks are doing so well running around with Doris the mama silkie still - not sure what I've got yet though!

So lovely to see so many new faces on the thread - welcome all!

Better go work before it is too hot to think - going to be over 40c this afternoon - and it was only about 2 weeks ago it was max of 14c!
Hello PouleChick.:)
I was getting ready to nip over the border and see if you were still living.;)
I guessed your new job was keeping you busy.
Pleased to read you're okay despite being a bit stressed.:hugs

The drainage issues are sorted and hubby's emergency retina surgery is done and dusted...so I am giddy to announce my first ever coop build has begun! Not promising regular updates because life happens but will try to pop in every now and again to show you my progress. 1.8m by 2.5m coop with finished run TBD.

Attachments

• coop!.jpg
    coop!.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
The drainage issues are sorted and hubby's emergency retina surgery is done and dusted...so I am giddy to announce my first ever coop build has begun! Not promising regular updates because life happens but will try to pop in every now and again to show you my progress. 1.8m by 2.5m coop with finished run TBD.

congrats!

I have to make some coops as hopefully I will move soon to my new place.

Added stone dug up during the French drain extravaganza this spring to the foundation/base of the coop to hopefully discourage diggers. Also put hardwire mesh on two sides for the same reason. The other two sides will be in the L-shaped run that will go behind and up the right side of the coop and the run will have an apron so trying to save on the hardwire mesh costs. Decking on and now off to find discounted lino to put down before we frame out to help with floor maintenance. Fingers crossed the great weather hangs around a while so we can keep up progress! There is plenty more stone on the property and the plan is to pile it up all around the base as a further deterrent to predators.
67306160_10219056923551616_2461007863946936320_n.jpg
67395158_10219056923511615_5143675528296792064_n.jpg

Added stone dug up during the French drain extravaganza this spring to the foundation/base of the coop to hopefully discourage diggers. Also put hardwire mesh on two sides for the same reason. The other two sides will be in the L-shaped run that will go behind and up the right side of the coop and the run will have an apron so trying to save on the hardwire mesh costs. Decking on and now off to find discounted lino to put down before we frame out to help with floor maintenance. Fingers crossed the great weather hangs around a while so we can keep up progress! There is plenty more stone on the property and the plan is to pile it up all around the base as a further deterrent to predators.View attachment 1852955 View attachment 1852956

Impressive!

What predators do you have there?

Back
Top Bottom