Pekin bantam thread!

Hi there. I have my first Pekin! :)

Can you tell me what colour she is? I got her on Friday with the Faverolles bantam. They are in a little coop in quarantine for a while. The coop does have a run attached, however they don't seem too keen to leave the coop house still. They have food and water in there and they are eating and drinking.

Will they eventually venture out? These pics are from when I got them home. They went up into the coop at dusk that day and have been in there since lol.

Last edited:
Howdy HWS sutton

I occasionally get 5 eggs a week from some of my Pekin gals but I would say it probably averages 3-4/week.

They are not known to be good layers and can spend the majority of their time broody. I have one hen who will lay on average 10 eggs and then go broody.

With broodiness and moulting, one Pekin gal has laid 82 eggs in the past year and another 101.

I have one who, due to the season, broodiness and moulting, has not laid an egg since 13th December.

Last edited:
Hey HWS Sutton

It can vary from Pekin hen to Pekin hen but one of my gals can go broody 3-4 times in summer.

If I do not let her have a hatch and I break her from her broodiness which takes 3-4 days, she then returns to laying a week or two later, lays 10-12 eggs over a period of a couple of weeks or so and then goes broody again.

I have another Pekin who goes broody 2-3 times in summer.

Another went broody when she was 6 months old, I broke her from that bout and she was broody again 4 weeks later, broke her from that one and 8 weeks later, she was broody again, broke her, 5 weeks later, broody again, broke her, 5 weeks later broody again.

Sadly we lost her at 13 months of age, but over 7 months, she went broody 5 times.

Hello all - new to the forum
I am very excited to show you my pekin cross chicks. Some look like they will be frizzled, some are silky crosses (extra toes are a giveaway) and the most interesting one is the tiny pale grey chick - I think she might be a serama pekin cross! They are adorable. They are being well cared for by their adoptive mum -my unusually broody black rock Penny. They are from a very mixed

flock as you can tell, if folks are interested I will post picks of how they develop.

Hi all,

I'm very new to the chicken keeping obsession and will be having my chicks arriving in about a weeks’ time.

I’m currently busy getting their coop and pen ready (about 50sq m). I will be having 2 pekin bantams and 2 welsummers from the same breeder and about 16wks old.

My question is regarding their perches in the coop, as the pekin’s are small what height should it be? The coop currently has two perches and are 12inches high so I’m thinking some adjustment might be in order?

Any advice much appreciated!

Hi all,

I'm very new to the chicken keeping obsession and will be having my chicks arriving in about a weeks’ time.

I’m currently busy getting their coop and pen ready (about 50sq m). I will be having 2 pekin bantams and 2 welsummers from the same breeder and about 16wks old.

My question is regarding their perches in the coop, as the pekin’s are small what height should it be? The coop currently has two perches and are 12inches high so I’m thinking some adjustment might be in order?
Any advice much appreciated!
My Pekin has no problems getting up that high to perch :) However I would also have perches at varying heights for pecking order

Last edited:
I only have bantams, Pekins included and have a low roost which is just over 10 inches and a higher one at just over 12 inches.

They all sleep on the higher one and while they sometimes jump from the coop floor to the lower roost and then hop over to the higher, they are also able to jump straight up to the higher one without issue.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom