Pekin breathing heavily through her nares

Okay so if they are almost feathered in you need to start taking them outside some to get them used to the temps if your temps are 60 and above and not raining. Start them off by taking them out for maybe 15 minutes and gradually add to it. They need the exercise for one thing Pekins don't have the strongest legs so getting some exercise will be good for them. Just never leave them alone always supervise. Have you been adding Nutritional yeast or some form of niacin to their feed Do you give them tub time in warm water that can help to build their leg strength also Since you got them? Some bedding is pretty dusty too what are you using?
I am trying to help you figure out why they are breathing heavily . I did go back and read where you have been letting the swim in the tub that is good.
@CoriM has had Pekin maybe she can reply about the heavy breathing. Your not seeing any type of discharge coming from nares or eyes?
To add to my reply; I just began giving them tub time in warm water….. I’ve noticed the leg strength is poor. I’m hoping the tubs help. I use shavings from tractor supply for bedding.

They will most likely always need a niacin supplement and Nutritional yeast is a very good one 1 Tab per cup of feed daily. But if they are already showing signs of niacin deficiency then Liquid B Complex is the best way to get them over it. You'll need to put the liquid b complex over a small amount of treat like dried mealworms so they get the full dose. Putting it in water dilutes it too much. You want to get on this weakness quick Pekins get heavy and need to have strong legs.It says injectable but we use it orally. They will need 1 ml each of the liquid and you can split it up over the day instead of giving it all at once too.
IMG_2678 2.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom