Pics

Flutterbudget

Songster
Sep 6, 2020
My partner went to let the ducks out this morning and found my 4 year old female Pekin dead. Her neck is definitely not straight and she’s died with her legs flat out underneath her stomach. Nothing that I can see, one eye is closed the other is open, pupil seems to be dilated. Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary other than that she was slightly quieter when free ranging as she’s usually the leader of the pack. Considering how stiff she was I believe it was through the night and my other ducks have seen it. My two males don’t seem to be overly concerned but my other female is absolutely distraught and is hissing and breathing heavily. Anyone have any experience of this death and potentially know what it could be? Predator is not an option their enclosure is concrete floor and is secure as can be. Any ideas on how to calm my other female down, she’s in a dark quiet room right now, my main concern is that it may be a disease. Could it potentially be due to the males or maybe she’d previously passed and then they’ve stood on her, I’m asking myself a million and one questions. I’m absolutely distraught, any guidance provided would be much appreciated

Unless you're willing to send to send her in for a necropsy or perhaps do-it-yourself, we can only offer speculation.
In cases like this I'm always more inclined to think it was an egg issue potentially. Any idea if she's had trouble laying recently? Any history of soft shells or anything like that?

And unless she's dirty or something, I wouldn't suspect the males of stepping all over her.
I'm so sorry you lost her. :hugs

My partner went to let the ducks out this morning and found my 4 year old female Pekin dead. Her neck is definitely not straight and she’s died with her legs flat out underneath her stomach. Nothing that I can see, one eye is closed the other is open, pupil seems to be dilated. Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary other than that she was slightly quieter when free ranging as she’s usually the leader of the pack. Considering how stiff she was I believe it was through the night and my other ducks have seen it. My two males don’t seem to be overly concerned but my other female is absolutely distraught and is hissing and breathing heavily. Anyone have any experience of this death and potentially know what it could be? Predator is not an option their enclosure is concrete floor and is secure as can be. Any ideas on how to calm my other female down, she’s in a dark quiet room right now, my main concern is that it may be a disease. Could it potentially be due to the males or maybe she’d previously passed and then they’ve stood on her, I’m asking myself a million and one questions. I’m absolutely distraught, any guidance provided would be much appreciated
So sorry for your loss
Can be many reason and without an autopsy it’s hard to know for sure
Was she laying eggs ? If so when was her last egg ?
Is it possible she ate anything that could have been poisoning to ducks
Long story short my one pekin was off one afternoon and that evening I rushed her into the vet. She died right there mins after we walked in
We had her body sent off as I yo worried like you is it something that could harm my others
It turned out she had weird spots by her heart as well as a penny in her stomach
The combo of the two took her out
Heart issues and poison
I don’t have any Pennie’s but ducks dig in the ground and find things we don’t know are buried and harm them
Just keep an eye on your flock

I’ve buried her after psyching myself up for a couple of hours to finally go and see her in the coop so necropsy wouldn’t be an option. Never had a concern with her laying before, she’s always been the greediest and the healthiest of the bunch. I did feel her stomach and there was an egg there but she’s always laid hard shells and she gets crushed oyster shell alongside her food too. Would you lean more towards it not being disease then? I’m just so concerned with my other Pekin and the fact that she’s breathing so heavy and she looks in shock, is it normal for other ducks to grieve like this? Thank you for your condolences, they sure break your heart. 💔

I’ve buried her after psyching myself up for a couple of hours to finally go and see her in the coop so necropsy wouldn’t be an option. Never had a concern with her laying before, she’s always been the greediest and the healthiest of the bunch. I did feel her stomach and there was an egg there but she’s always laid hard shells and she gets crushed oyster shell alongside her food too. Would you lean more towards it not being disease then? I’m just so concerned with my other Pekin and the fact that she’s breathing so heavy and she looks in shock, is it normal for other ducks to grieve like this? Thank you for your condolences, they sure break your heart. 💔
Animals can certainly get weirded out by death. If it's at a very extreme level, though, perhaps there is something that was gotten into that was toxic. 🤔
You mentioned free ranging. Are there any stagnant puddles or areas where water gathers that they have been playing in? Botulism kills very quickly.

Animals can certainly get weirded out by death. If it's at a very extreme level, though, perhaps there is something that was gotten into that was toxic. 🤔
You mentioned free ranging. Are there any stagnant puddles or areas where water gathers that they have been playing in? Botulism kills very quickly.
They get their water changed very often and the only thing is a compost heap at the bottom of the garden which I can think of. Very worried about my other duck at the moment 😭

For the grief and anxiety of your other female, if you have any or can get some soon, give her Bach's Rescue Remedy, and also the homeopathic remedy Ignatia. Both work pretty quickly and are very effective for both animals and people. I've used Rescue Remedy for many years for both wild animals/birds and domesticated and it's a lifesaver, literally sometimes. The Ignatia I've just been using the last 5 yrs or so but brought my goat out of extreme grief and not eating over the loss of her lifelong mate.

Back
Top Bottom